« ElőzőTovább »
Sr. LUKE, XII.
St. JOHN, VII.
St. MATTHEW, XVI.
ST. MARK, VIII. tude, and took ship (1) and
10. T And straightway he entered
into a ship with his disciples and came into the coasts of Magdala. (2) came into the parts of Dalma
1. The Pharisees also with the 11. And the Pharisees came Sadducees came, and tempting, forth, and began to question with desired him that he would show him, seeking of him a sign from Chap. XII., from P. 55. them a sign (3) from heaven. heaven, tempting him. 2. He answered and said unto
54. | And he said also to the them, When it is evening, ye say,
people, When ye see a cloud rise It will be fair weather, for the sky
out of the west straightway ye is red.
say there cometh a shower:
and so it is.
55. And when ye see the south Omitted by some of the inost ancient MSS. — wind blow ye say, There will be Alford.
heat; and it cometh to pass. 3. And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day; for the sky is red and lowering. O, ye hypocrites, ye can discern the
56. Ye hypocrites, ye can face of the sky; but can ye not
discern the face of the sky and discern the signs of the times ?
of the earth; but how is it that
57. Yea, and why even of
12. And he sighed deeply in his Continued P. 34. 4. A wicked and adulterous spirit, and saith, Why doth this generation seeketh after a sign : generation seek after a sign ? Verily, and there shall no sign be given I say unto you, tbere shall no sign unto it but the sign of the prophet be given unto this generation. Jonas. (4) And he left them and departed. 13. And he left them; and enter
ing into the ship, again departed to
the other side, 5. And when his disciples were 14. Now the disciples had for. come to the other side, they had gotten to take bread : forgotten to take bread.
neither had they in the ship with
them more than one loaf. 6. Then Jesus said unto them, 15. And he charged them, saying, Take heed, and beware of the leaven Take heed, beware of the leaven of of the Pharisees, and of the Sad. Herod. ducees.
7. And they reasoned among 16. And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It because themselves, saying, It is because we have taken no bread.
we have no bread.
17. And when Jesus knew it, he 8. Which when Jesus perceived, said unto them, he said unto them, 0, ye of little Why reason ye, because ye have no faith! Why reason ye among bread ? perceive ye not yet, neither yourselves because ye have brought understand ? no bread? 9. Do ye not yet understand,
have ye your heart yet hardened ?
18. Having eyes, see ye not ? and
having ears, hear ye not? neither remember
And do ye not remember? the five loaves of the five thousand, 19. When I brake the five loaves and how many baskets ye took up? among five thousand, how many 1) M. XIV. 22. (2) M. XIV. 34. (1) Mk. VL 45, P. 75. (3) M. XII. 38; J. II. 18, P. 22; VI. 80, P. 77. (6) M. XII. 39.
11. How is it that ye do not 21. And he said unto them, understand that I spake it not How is it that ye do not underto you concerning bread, that stand ? ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?
12. Then understood they how that he bade them not be. ware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.
22. | And he cometh to Beth.
23. And he took the blind
24. And he looked up, and said, I see men as trees, walking.
25. After that, he put his hands again upon his eyes, and made him look up; and he was restored, and saw every man clearly.
26. And he sent him away to his house, saying, Neither go into the town; nor tell it to any in the town.
Chap. IX. from P. 75. 13. When Jesus came
27. And Jesus went out, and 18. | And it came to pass, into the coasts of Cesarea his disciples, into the towns of
as he was alone, praying, his Philippi,
Cesarea Philippi : and by the disciples were with him : and
men say that I am ?
say, Elias : and others say, mias : or one of the prophets. of the prophets.
That one of the old prophets is 15. He saith unto them, But 29. And he saith unto them, risen again. whom say ye that I am ? But whom say ye that I am ? 20. He said unto them, But
16. And Simon Peter an. And Peter answereth, and saith whom say ye that I am! swered, and said, Thou art the unto him, Thou art the Christ. Peter answering, said, The Christ,
Christ of God. the Son of the living God.
17. And Jesus answered, and said unto him, Blessed art thou
See J. VI. 68, 69, P. 79.
ST. JOHN, VII.
St. MATTHEW, XVI.
ST. LUKE, IX.
18. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter ; and upon this rock I will build my church : and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
(1) See v. 23. 19. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven : and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven : and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. (2)
20. Then charged he his dis- 30. And he charged them that 21. And he straitly charged ciples that they should tell no they should tell no man
them, and commanded them to man
tell no man that thing : that he was Jesus the Christ. of him.
21. From that time forth 31. And he began to teach 22. Saying, the Son of man began Jesus to show unto his them that disciples, how that he must go unto Jeru. the Son of man must suffer many must suffer many things ; and be salem, and suffer many things of things, and be rejected of the rejected of the elders, and
chief the elders, and chief priests and chief priests, and scribes, and be priests, and scribes ; and be slain ; scribes, and be killed, and be killed, and after three days rise and be raised the third day. raised again the third day. (3) again.
32. And he spake that saying
openly. 22. Then Peter took him, and And Peter took him, and began began to rebuke him,
to rebuke him. Baying, Be it far from thee, Lord : This shall not be unto thee. 23. But he turned
33. But, when he had turned
about and looked on his disciples, and said unto Peter, Get theo he rebuked Peter, saying, "Get behind me, Satan : Thou art an thee behind me, Satan : for thou offence unto me : for thou savorest savorest not the things that be not the things that be of God, of God; but the things that be bat those that be of men. (4)
34. |And when he had called 23. [ And he said to them all, 24. Then said Jesus unto his the people unto him, with his disdisciples, If any man will come ciples also, he said unto them; If any man will come after me, after me, let him deny himself, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up and take up his cross, and follow let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
his cross and follow me : 25. For whosoever will save 35. For whosoever will save 24. For whosoever will save his life, shall lose it; and whoso. his life, shall lose it : but whoso. his life shall lose it : but whosoever will lose his life, for my sake, ever shall lose his life for my sake, ever will lose his life for my sake,
and the gospel's sball find it. 26. For wbat is a man profited the same shall save it.
the same shall save it. if he sball gain the whole world, 36. For what shall it profit a 25. For what is a man advanand lose his own soul ?
man if he shall gain the whole taged if he gain the wholo world, or what sball a man give in ex. world, and lose his own soul ? and lose himself, or be cast away? change for his soul ?
37. Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul ?
38. Whosoever therefore shall 26. For whosoever shall be shall be ashamed of me and of ashamed of me, and of my words, my words in this adulterous and
of him shall the Son of sinful generation ; of him also man be ashamed, when he shall 27. For the Son of man shall shall the Son of man be ashamed, come in his own glory and in his come in the glory of his Father, when he cometh in the glory of Father's and of the holy angels. with his angels :
his Father, with the holy angels. and then he shall reward every man according to his works. (2) M. XVIII, 18; J. XX. 23, P. 182 (3) M. XVIL. 23. (4) Vide 18, 18.
St. MATTHEW, XVII.
ST. MARK, IX.
ST. LUKE, IX.
ST. JOHN, VII.
CHAP. IX, 28. Verily, I say unto you 1. And he said unto them,
Chap. IX. from P. 85. there be some Verily I say unto you, That there standing here, which shall not be some of them that stand here, 27. But I tell you of a truth, taste of death, till they see the which shall not taste of death, There be some standing here, Son of man coming in his till they have seen the kingdom which shall not taste of death, kingdom. (1) of God come with power.
till they see the kingdom of God.
See J. XXI. 22, 23, P. 184.
1. And after six days
28. 1 And it came to pass, Jesus taketh Peter, James, and Jesus taketh with him Peter and about an eight days after these John his brother, and bringeth James and John, and leadeth them sayings, he took Peter and John them up into an high mountain up into an high mountain and James and went up into a apart,
apart by themselves ; and he was mountain to pray. 2. And was transfigured before transfigured before them,
29. And as he prayed the them : and his face did shine as
fashion of his countenance was the sun : and his raiment was
altered, and his raiment was white white as the light.
3. And his raiment became and glistering.
with him two men, which were
31. Who appeared in glory,
he should accomplish at Jeru.
32. But Peter and they that
33. And it came to pass, as they departed from him, Peter
said unto Jesus, Master, it is good 4. Then answered Peter, and 5. And Peter answered and for us to be here: and let us said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good said to Jesus, Master, it is good make three tabernacles : one for for us to be here : if thou wilt let for us to be here : and let us thee, one for Moses, and one for us make here three tabernacles; make three tabernacles; one for Elias : not knowing what he one for thee, and one for Moses, thee, and one for Moses, and one said. and one for Elias.
6. For he wist not what to say ; for they were sore afraid.
34. While he thus spake,
there came a cloud, and over5. While he yet spake, behold 7. And there was a cloud that shadowed them : a bright cloud overshadowed overshadowed them :
and they feared as they entered them :
into the cloud. and behold, a voice out of the and a voice came out of the cloud, 35, And there came a voice out cloud, which said, This is my saying, This is my beloved Son, of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well
beloved Son, pleased : hear ye him. hear him.
hear him, 6. And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid.
7. And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid. (1) J. XXI. 22, 23, P. 184.
St. MATTHEW, XVII.
ST. MARK, IX.
ST. LUKE, IX.
ST. JOHN, VII.
8. And when they had lifted 8. And suddenly, when they 36. And when the voice was up their eyes
had looked round about, past
they saw no man any more, they saw no man save Jesus save Jesus only with them. Jesus was found alone. only.
selves. 9. And as they came down 9. And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus from the mountain, he charged charged them, saying, Tell the them that they should tell no vision to no man until the Son man what things they had of man be risen again from the seen, till the Son of man were dead.
risen from the dead.
10. And they kept that saying and they kept it close, and told with themselves, questioning no man, in those days, and of one with another what the those things which they ha
rising from the dead should seen. 10. And his disciples asked 11. [ And they asked him, him, saying, Why then say the saying, Why say the Scribes, scribes that Elias must first that Elias must first come ? come?
12. And he answered and 11. And Jesus answered, and told them, Elias verily cometh said unto them, Elias truly first, and restoreth all things : shall first come, and restore all and how it is written of the things.
Son of man, that he must suffer
that Elias is come already,
Elias is indeed come ; and they knew him not, and have done unto him what. and they have done unto him soever
whatsoever they listed; as it is they listed.
written of him. Likewise also sball the Son of man suffer of them.
13. Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.
37. | And it came to pass that on the next day, when they
were come down from the hill,
his disciples, he saw a great
15. And straightway all the much people met him.
16. And he asked the Scribes,
What question ye with them? there came to him a certain 17. And one of the multitude 38. And behold, a man of the man, kneeling down to him, answered, and said,
company cried out, saying, and saying,
15. Lord, have mercy on Master, I have brought unto Master, I beseech thee, look
upon my son ; for he is my only
child. for he is lunatick, and sore which hath a dumb spirit : 39. And, lo, a spirit taketh vexed : for oft times he falleth
him, and he suddenly crieth
18. And wheresoever he
(1) ME. IX. 22. P. 88.