« ElőzőTovább »
1. There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews :
2. The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God : for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
3. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old ? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born ?
5. Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7. Marvel not that I said un. to thee, Ye must be born again.
8. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth : so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
9. Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these thinge be
10. Jesus answered and said unto bim, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things ?
11. Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
12. If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things ?
13. And no man bath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven,
Sr. MARK, I.
St. LUKE, V.
Sr. MATTHEW, IV.
ST. JOHN, III. even the Son of man which is in heaven.
14. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted
15. That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16. ^ For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.
22. After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of
Judea ; and there he tarried with J. IV. 2. P. 25. them, and baptized.*
23. And John also was baptizing in Ænon near to Salim, because there was much water there : and
they came and were baptized. M. IV. 12. XI. 2. 24. For John was not yet cast into
25. f Then there arose a question between some of John's disciples and the Jews about purifying.
26. And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him.
27. John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven.
28. Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him.
29. He that hath the bride is the bridegroom ; but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice : this my joy therefore is fulfilled.
St. MATTHEW, IV.
St. MARK, I.
ST. LUKE, V.
ST. JOHN, III., IV. 30. He must increase, but I must decrease.
31. He that cometh from above is above all : he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth : he that cometh from heaven is above all.
32. And what he hath seen and heard, that he testifieth ; and no man receiveth his testi: mony.
33. He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true.
34. For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God : for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.
35. The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.
36. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life ; but the wrath of God abideth on him,
CHAP. IV. 1. When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,
2. (Though Jesus himself J. III. 22. P. 24. baptized not, but his discip!es,)
3. He left Judea, and de. parted again into Galilee.
4. And he must needs go through Samaria.
5. Then cometh he to a city of Samaria, which is called Sychar, near to the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph.
6. Now Jacob's well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with his journey, sat thus on the well : and it was about the sixth hour.
7. There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water : Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.
8. (For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.)
9. Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria ? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.
10. Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of
St. MATTHEW, IV.
St. MARK, I.
ST. LUKE, V.
ST. JOHN, IV. him, and he would have given thee living water.
11. The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then bast thou that living water ?
12. Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle ?
13. Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again :
14. But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in bim a well of water spring. ing up into everlasting life.
15. The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw.
16. Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither.
17. The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband :
18. For thou hast had five husbands ; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband : in that saidst thou truly.
19. The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet.
20. “Our fathers worshipped in this mountain ; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
21. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father,
22. Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
23. But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth : for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
24. God is a Spirit : and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
25. The woman saith unto bim, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ : when he is come, he will tell us all things.
26. Jesus saith unto her, I St. MATTHEW, IV.
St. MARK, I.
ST. LUKE, V.
ST. JOHN, IV. that speak unto thee am he.
27. | And upon this came his disciples, and marvelled that he talked with the woman : yet no man said, What seekest thou? or, Why talkest thou with her ?
28. The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men,
29. Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did : is not this the Christ?
30. Then they went out of the city, and came unto him.
31. | In the mean while his disciples prayed him, saying, Master, eat.
32. But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of.
33. Therefore said the dis. ciples one to another, Hath any man brought him aught to eat ?
34. Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.
35. Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest ? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields ; for they are white already to harvest.
36. 'And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto eternal life: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.
37. And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth.
38. I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.
39. | And many of the Sa. maritans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did.
40. So when the Samaritans were come unto him, they be. sought him that he would tarry with them : and he abode there two days.
41. And many more believed because of his own word ;
42. And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying : for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.