communication with Lieutenant-General Count Wallmoden, which dangerous service he successfully effected, though he had, with great care and caution, to creep with his small force between the large corps d'armée of Davoust and other French generals at that time stationed in Pomerania, Mecklenburg, and Hanover. Having joined Count Wallmoden, the Seventy-third contributed greatly to the victory that general gained over the French on the plains of Gorde, in Hanover, where Lieutenant-Colonel Harris, at the head of his battalion, declining any aid, and at the moment when the German Hussars had been routed, charged up a steep hill, took a battery of French artillery, and unfurling the British colours, at once spread terror amongst that gallant enemy which feared no others; a panic struck them, and they fled."


The following instance of suspended animation, in the case of Sergeant Bubb, of the Twenty-eighth Regiment, is, perhaps, one of the most remarkable in the annals of the Humane Society. Mr. W. H. Crowfoot, surgeon, of Beccles, was called professionally to Kessingland, on Tuesday, 17th December, 1805, and met by accident a cart containing (as he was told) the dead body of a soldier. The history of the supposed deceased man was briefly this: That on the preceding day, about eleven o'clock, after suffering shipwreck, with part of the Twenty-eighth regiment of Foot, he sank in a state of insensibility upon the deck of the ship, where he remained during the night, and was said to have perished during the inclemency of the weather. He was brought on shore between eleven and twelve


o'clock the next day, and was left on the beach for more than an hour, under a conviction that he was, as represented by the bystanders, dead. Mr. C. desired to examine the body, and perceiving some remaining warmth about the heart, he resolved to use his endeavours to restore the man. To the astonishment of those present, he very fortunately succeeded, after three hours' unwearied application in the means usually employed on such occasions.


A singular circumstance occurred during the Peninsular War, which was no less than the collecting of the French shot in the vicinity of the British camp. The incident is thus related in a letter written, on the day following the escape of the French garrison of Almeida, by the Duke of Wellington to Viscount Beresford :

"Villa Formosa, 11th May, 1811. "You will hardly believe that we were obliged to pick up the French shot in our camp to make up ammunition for Arentschild's guns, his reserve having been left behind at Saragossa."

This practice was resumed at the siege of Sevastopol, for it appears by a General Order, dated 24th October, 1854, that

"The Commander-in-Chief is pleased to authorize the payment of fourpence for each small shot, and sixpence for each large shot which may be brought into the camp of Lieutenant-Colonel Gambier, Royal Artillery, near the light division, by any soldier or

[merged small][ocr errors]

A further General Order was published on the 4th November, 1854, which stated that

"General Order, No. 1, of 24th October, authorizing payment for shot delivered at the Camp of the Siege Train, is cancelled."

Suwarrow, the celebrated Russian general, is reported to have made the following use of the enemy's bullets, when after an obstinate defence, he had taken a town in the Crimea, during the storming of which, the greatest instances of courage had been shown by the troops. In a magazine were found several thousands of musket-balls, all of which the general had soon after rudely struck with the name of the city; and in commemoration of the event, presented one to each of his brave followers, placing them as trophies on the breasts they had been destined to pierce.


In the year 1685, when the Tenth Regiment was raised, it wore blue coats, and was the only corps of infantry thus clothed. The coats were lined with red, and the men had red waistcoats, breeches, and stockings; round hats with broad brims-the brim being turned up on one side and ornamented with red ribbons; the arms were muskets and pikes ; the pikemen were distinguished by wearing red worsted sashes. The other corps had red coats, which colour was generally worn by English soldiers from the time of Queen Elizabeth; several of Cromwell's regiments were clad in blue, and King Charles II. clothed the Royal Regiment of Horse Guards in blue, which colour it has since retained. A regiment of marines, raised in his reign, had a yellow uniform. Shortly

after the revolution in 1688, the Tenth were clothed in red like the rest of the infantry.

[ocr errors]


Private Thomas Stevenson, of Ligonier's Horse, now Seventh Dragoon Guards, having had his horse shot under him shortly after the commencement of the battle of Fontenoy, on the 11th May, 1745, did not rejoin his regiment until the evening of the following day. The esprit de corps was shown in this manner, for so proud were the men of being styled a Ligonier," that they would not permit him to remain within the lines. A court-martial was demanded by the man, before which he produced Lieutenant Izard, of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, who deposed that, “on the morning of the day of action, the prisoner addressed him, acquainted him with the death of his (the prisoner's) horse, and requested permission to carry a firelock in the grenadier company under him. The prisoner's request was granted; he behaved throughout the day with uncommon intrepidity, and was one of the nine grenadiers which he (the evidence) brought out of the action." Stevenson was at once restored to his troop with honour. His Royal Highness the Duke of Cumberland promoted him on the following day to a lieutenancy in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.


At the siege of Bouchain, situated on the Scheldt, which was taken in September, 1711, the communication between the enemy's camp and the town was established through a morass, where the water was somewhat deep, and covered with willows and rushes.

It was constructed on a narrow footway that ran through the middle of it, and a parapet, carried on with fascines from tree to tree the whole distance, protected by three redoubts. The Duke of Marlborough being resolved to obtain possession of these, ordered out 400 grenadiers, who marched up to the middle, and some to the neck, in water. They reached the parapet, and drove the enemy from their posts, though exposed to the cannon, both of the town and the entrenchments.

The above is related by Lieutenant-Colonel Blackader, of the Twenty-sixth Cameronians, and Lediard, in his "Life of Marlborough," relates that "an ensign of Ingoldsby's regiment (now Eighteenth Foot) who was at the head of fifteen grenadiers, being very short of stature, and seeing, when they had advanced into the water, that he must either drown or give up his share of the enterprise and return, chose rather to get upon the shoulders of one of his grenadiers, and when they came to the parapet, he was one of the first to leap into the enemy's works." The ensign's name was Somercourt.


A surprising statement is made by the Rev. George Robert Gleig, M.A., Chaplain-General to the Forces, in his work entitled "The Campaigns of the British Army at Washington and New Orleans in 1814-15," by which it appears that in the operations before New Orleans, sugar was used instead of earth. To use the author's own words :-"In the erection of these batteries, a circumstance occurred worthy of notice on account of its singularity. I have already stated that

« ElőzőTovább »