A Universal Biographical Dictionary, Containing the Lives of the Most Celebrated Characters of Every Age and Nation ... to which is Added, a Dictionary of the Principal Divinities and Heroes of Grecian and Roman Mythology, and a Biographical Dictionary of Eminent Living Characters
S. Andrus, 1820 - 444 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
able admired afterwards Alexander American ancient Anthony army battle became bishop born brother called celebrated century Charles chief Christian church colony court critic daughter death died distinguished divine duke Dutch ecclesiastic educated Edward elected eminent emperor England English English divine esteemed excellent famous father flourished France French George German governor Greek Henry historian Italian Italy James jesuit John Joseph judge killed king known land languages Latin lawyer learned letters Lewis lived London lord Mary merit minister native natural Nicholas officer Oxford painter Paris Peter Philip philosopher physician pieces poems poet political pope preceding president prince principal printed professor published queen reign Richard Robert Roman Rome royal Samuel sent soon subjects succeeded success Thomas throne tion took translated treatise valuable vols wife William writer wrote
198. oldal - THE BODY of BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, Printer, (like the cover of an old book, its contents torn out, and stript of its lettering and gilding) lies here food for worms ; yet the work itself shall not be lost, for it will (as he believed) appear once more in a new and more beautiful edition, corrected and amended by THE AUTHOR.
2. oldal - IDE, of the said District, hath deposited in this office, the title of a book, the right whereof he claims as proprietor, in the words following, to wit : " Inductive Grammar, designed for beginners. By an Instructer." In conformity to the act of the Congress of the United States...
2. oldal - In conformity to the act of Congress of the United States, entitled, " An act for the encouragement of learning, by securing the copies of maps, charts and books, to the authors and proprietors of such copies, during the times therein mentioned ;
28. oldal - I think it is lawful for you to take my brother Neale's money; for he offers it.
185. oldal - A poet, blest beyond the poet's fate, Whom Heaven kept sacred from the Proud and Great : Foe to loud praise, and friend to learned ease, Content with science in the vale of peace. Calmly he look'd on either life ; and here Saw nothing to regret, or there to fear ; From Nature's temperate feast rose satisfied, Thank'd Heaven that he had liv'd, and that he died.
10. oldal - The marriage, if uncontradicted report can be credited, made no addition to his happiness : it neither found them nor made them equal. She always remembered her own rank, and thought herself entitled to treat with very little ceremony the tutor of her son. Rowe's ballad of The Despairing Shepherd is said to have been written, either before or after marriage, upon this memorable pair; and it is certain that Addison has left behind him no encouragement for ambitious love.
311. oldal - She ended weeping, and her lowly plight, Immoveable till peace obtain'd from fault Acknowledged and deplored, in Adam wrought Commiseration ; soon his heart relented Towards her, his life so late and sole delight, Now at his feet submissive in distress...
335. oldal - A Commentary, with Notes, on the four Evangelists and the Acts of the Apostles," with other theological pieces.
261. oldal - ... in judgment and in genius bright; In controversy seldom known to spare, But humble as the Publican in prayer ; To more, than merited his kindness, kind, And, though in manners harsh, of friendly mind ; Deep ting'd with melancholy's blackest shade, And, though prepar'd to die, of death afraid— Such Johnson was ; of him with justice vain, When will this nation see his like again...