Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
appeared Appendix arms arrived attack Balmerino battle body brother Cameron cannon Captain Carlisle castle Charles's Chevalier de St chief Clanranald clans Colonel command conduct Cope court Culloden desire despatched Donald dragoons duke of Cumberland duke of Perth Edinburgh enemy England English entered Falkirk favour fire forces Fort Augustus French friends gentlemen Glenaladale Glengary guard Highland army honour horse house of Stuart immediately informed Inverness Jacobite Memoirs joined king of France Kingsburgh Kinlochmoidart Kirkconnel land letter Lochiel London Lord George Murray Lord John Drummond lordship Macdonald Macleod Majesty majesty's Malcolm miles morning night o'clock observed occasion officers Paris party passed person present Prince Charles prince's prisoners proceeded proposed qu'il Raasay received regiment resolved retreat royal highness Scotland sent seventeen hundred Skye South Uist St George taken thing Thomas Sheridan tion took town troops
43. oldal - And the people shall take them, and bring them to their place: And the house of Israel shall possess them in the land of the Lord For servants and handmaids: And they shall take them captives, whose captives they were; And they shall rule over their oppressors.
332. oldal - There were first some rows of trees laid down in order to level a floor for the habitation ; and as the place was steep, this raised the lower side to an equal height with the other ; and these trees in the way of joists or planks were levelled with earth and gravel. There were betwixt the trees, growing naturally on their own roots, some stakes fixed in the earth, which with the trees were interwoven with ropes, made of heath and THE PRINCE'S ESCAPE, 1746.
286. oldal - I have sent your daughter from this country, lest she should be any way frightened with the troops lying here. She has got one Betty Burke, an Irish girl, who, as she tells me, is a good spinster. If her spinning pleases you, you may keep her till she spins all your lint ; or, if you have any wool to spin, you may employ her.
398. oldal - If I was surprised to find him there, I was still more astonished when he acquainted me with the motives which had induced him to hazard a journey to England at this juncture. The impatience of his friends who were in exile had formed a scheme which was impracticable ; but although it had been as feasible as they had represented it to him, yet no preparation had been made, nor was anything ready to carry it into execution.
331. oldal - It was situated in the face of a very rough, high, and rocky mountain, called Letternilichk, still a part of Benalder, full of great stones and crevices, and some scattered wood interspersed. The habitation called the Cage, in the face of that mountain, was within a small thick bush of wood.
144. oldal - ... alive or dead. Dickson presented his blunderbuss, which was charged with slugs, threatening to blow out the brains of those who first dared to lay hands on himself or the two who accompanied him ; and by turning round continually, facing in all directions, and behaving like a lion, he soon enlarged the circle which a crowd of people had formed round them. Having continued for some time to manoeuvre in this way...
124. oldal - The reason assigned by the Highlanders for their custom of throwing their muskets on the ground, is not without its force. They say, they embarrass them in their operations, even when slung behind them, and on gaining a battle, they can pick them up again along with the arms of their enemies ; but, if they should be beaten, they have no occasion for muskets.
343. oldal - The judgment of the law is, and this high court doth award, that you, William, earl of Kilmarnock ; George, earl of Cromarty ; and Arthur Lord Balmerino, and every of you, return to the prison of the Tower from whence you came : from thence you must be drawn to the place of execution : when you come there, you must be hanged by the neck, but not till you are dead...
270. oldal - ... violation, and then turned out naked, with their children, to starve on the barren heaths. One whole family was enclosed in a barn, and consumed to ashes. Those ministers of vengeance were so alert in the execution of their office, that in a few days there was neither house, cottage, man, nor beast, to be seen within the compass of fifty miles; all was ruin, silence, and desolation.