SHIPS-continued. rity shall be subject to the jurisdiction of that authority in the same manner as if it were a house within such district; and any ship or vessel lying in any river, harbour, or other water not within the district of a local authority shall be deemed to be within the district of such local authority as may be prescribed by the Local Government Board, and where no local authority has been prescribed, then of the local authority whose district nearest adjoins the place where such ship or vessel is lying.

"The master or other officer in charge of any such ship or vessel shall be deemed for the purpose of the said provisions to be the occupier of such ship or vessel.

"This section shall not apply to any ship or vessel under the command or charge of any officer bearing Her Majesty's commission, or to any ship or vessel belonging to any foreign government" : Sect. 110.

See Execution of Regulations, &c.

See Medical Officer of Health.

Short title This Act may be cited as "The Public Health Act, 1875": Sect. 1.

Signature of urban authority need not be affixed to high

way rates.

Sinking fund to repay money-see Borrowing Powers. "Slaughter-houses," includes the buildings and places commonly called slaughter-houses and knackers' yards, and any building or place used for slaughtering cattle, horses, or animals of any description for sale: Sect. 4.

"Any urban authority may, if they think fit, provide slaughter-houses, and they shall make bye-laws with respect to the management and charges for the use of any slaughterhouses so provided.

"For the purpose of enabling any urban authority to regulate slaughter-houses within their district, the provisions of the Towns Improvement Clauses Act, 1847, with respect to slaughter-houses shall be incorporated with this Act.


Nothing in this section shall prejudice or affect any rights, powers, or privileges of any persons incorporated by any local Act passed before the passing of the Public Health Act, 1848, for the purpose of making and maintaining slaughter-houses ": Sect. 169.

"The owner or occupier of any slaughter-house licensed or registered under this Act shall, within one month after the

licensing or registration of the premises, affix, and shall keep
undefaced and legible on some conspicuous place on the
mises, a notice with the words 'licensed slaughter-house, or
'registered slaughter-house,' as the case may be.


Any person who makes default in this respect, or who
neglects or refuses to affix or renew such notice after requi-
sition in writing from the urban authority, shall be liable to
a penalty not exceeding five pounds for every such offence,
and of ten shillings for every day during which such offence
continues after conviction": Sect. 170.

Smoke, non-consumption of, by fireplace or furnace used
for working engines by steam, or in any mill, factory, dye-
house, brewery, bakehouse, gasworks, or in any manufactur-
ing or trade process whatsoever-see Nuisance.

(Black) emitted from chimney—see Nuisance.
See Entry of Local Authority on Premises.

Snow-see Bye-laws.

Soap-boiler-see Trades.

Soil, accumulation of, removal of-see Removal of Accumu-
lation of Manure, &c.

Solicitor's costs-see Taxation of Solicitor's Costs.

Special drainage districts, constitution of rural districts
into. "It shall be lawful for a rural authority, by reso-
lution to be approved by the Local Government Board, but
not otherwise, to constitute any portion of the area within
their jurisdiction a special drainage district, for the purpose
of charging thereon exclusively the expenses of works of
sewerage, water supply, or of other works, which by this Act
are or by order of the Local Government Board may be
declared to be special expenses, and thereupon such area
shall become a separate contributory place": Sect. 277.
Dissolution of—see Alteration of Areas.

Expenses- -see Expenses of Rural Authority, Contribution

Stallages may be taken by urban authority-see Markets.
Stands for horses, &c.- -see Horses.

Stream, not to be drained into-see Local Authority.

"Street" includes any highway (not being a turnpike road), and any public bridge (not being a county bridge), and any road, lane, footway, square, court, alley, or passage, whether a thoroughfare or not: Sect. 4.

Cleansing of and watering of-see Removal of House Refuse. Breaking up of-see Waterworks.

Fire-plugs to be denoted in streets-see Fire-plugs.

Repair of, belonging to any person, may by agreement be undertaken by urban authority-see Roads (Turnpike), Highways.

Urban authority may require them to be paved, sewered, levelled, lighted, &c.-see Highways.

Not being a highway may by urban authority be declared a highway, when levelled, sewered, paved, lighted, &c.—see Highways.

For the

purpose of improving or making any street, an urban authority may purchase premises-see Highways.

Level, width, and construction of-see Bye-laws.

Naming of; improving the line of; precautions during the construction of-see Towns Improvement Clauses Act, 1847. Lighting of-see Lighting.

Substitution of provisions of this Act for those of repealed Acts.-"Where in any Act or order made by one of Her Majesty's principal Secretaries of State or by the Local Government Board, and in force at the time of the passing of this Act, or in any document, any provisions of any of the Sanitary Acts which are repealed by this Act are mentioned or referred to, such Act, order, or document, shall be read as if the provisions of this Act applicable to purposes the same as or similar to those of the repealed provisions were therein mentioned or referred to instead of such repealed provisions and were substituted for the same; nevertheless, those substituted provisions shall have effect, subject to any modification or restriction in such Act, order, or document expressed in relation to the repealed provisions therein mentioned or referred to": Sect. 313.

"Summary Jurisdiction Act" means theAct of the session of the eleventh and twelfth years of the reign of Her present Majesty, chapter forty-three, intituled "An Act to facilitate the performance of the duties of justices of the peace out of sessions within England and Wales with respect to summary


convictions and orders," and any Act amending the same: Sect. 4.


"Any complaint or information made or laid in pursuance of this Act shall be made or laid within six months from the time when the matter of such complaint or information respectively arose.

"The description of any offence under this Act in the words of this Act shall be sufficient in law.

"Any exception, exemption, proviso, excuse, or qualification, whether it does or does not accompany the description of the offence in this Act, may be proved by the defendant, but need not be specified or negatived in the information; and, if so specified or negatived, no proof in relation to the matters so specified or negatived, shall be required on the part of the informant": Sect. 252.

"Proceedings for the recovery of any penalty under this Act shall not, except as in this Act is expressly provided, be had or taken by any person other than by a party aggrieved, or by the local authority of the district in which the offence is committed, without the consent in writing of the AttorneyGeneral Provided that such consent shall not be required to proceedings which are by the provisions of this Act relating to nuisances or offensive trades authorized to be taken by a local authority in respect of any act or default committed or taking place without their district, or in respect of any house, building, manufactory, or place situated without their district": Sect. 253.

See Nuisance caused by several Persons, Rates.

See Expenses, Recovery of.

Where nuisance arises out of district-see Nuisance.

Summons shall be issued by justice against person making default in remedying nuisance, or abating it so that it may recur-see Default in Remedying Nuisance.

Superintendent of police-see Towns Police Clauses Act, 1847.

Superior court." Any local authority may, if in their opinion summary proceedings would afford an inadequate remedy, cause any proceedings to be taken against any person in any superior court of law or equity to enforce the abatement or prohibition of any nuisance under this Act, or for the recovery of any penalties from, or for the punishment of any persons offending against, the provisions of this Act re


lating to nuisances, and may order the expenses of and incident to all such proceedings to be paid out of the fund or rate applicable by them to the general purposes of this Act": Sect. 107.

Submission to arbitration may be made a rule of any superior court-see Arbitration.

Order of Local Government Board as to costs of inquiries, &c., may be made a rule of superior court-see Local Government Board.

Supply of gas-see Lighting.

Of water.--"Where on the report of the surveyor of a local authority it appears to such authority that any house within their district is without a proper supply of water, and that such a supply of water can be furnished thereto at a cost not exceeding the water rate authorized by any local Act in force within the district, or where there is not any local Act so in force at a cost of not exceeding two pence a week, or at such other cost as the Local Government Board may, on the application of the local authority, determine under all the circumstances of the case to be reasonable, the local authority shall give notice in writing to the owner, requiring him, within a time therein specified, to obtain such supply, and to do all such works as may be necessary for that purpose.

"If such notice is not complied with within the time specified, the local authority may, if they think fit, do such works and obtain such supply, and for that purpose may enter into any contract with any water company supplying water within their district; and water rates may be made and levied on the premises by the authority or company which furnishes the supply, and may be recovered as if the owner or occupier of the premises had demanded a supply of water, and were willing to pay water rates for the same, and any expenses incurred by the local authority in doing any such works, may be recovered in a summary manner from the owner of the premises, or may by order of the local authority be declared to be private improvement expenses": Sect. 62.

See Wells, Public Baths, Universities.

In case of fire-see Fire-plugs.

"Where it appears to any local authority that a common lodging-house is without a proper supply of water for the use of the lodgers, and that such a supply can be furnished thereto at a reasonable rate, the local authority may, by notice in writing, require the owner or keeper of such house, within a

« ElőzőTovább »