Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
The Manual of Peace, Embracing I, Evils and Remedies of War, Ii, Suggestions ...
Thomas Cogswell Upham
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2023
arms army assert Austria authority battle belligerent benevolence blockade blood capital punishments CHAPTER character Christ Christian civil command commerce common Congress of nations Congress of Panama considered contraband contraband of war course crime doctrine of peace doubt duty enemy England evil existence express favorable feel France glory Gospel ground heart hostility human individuals inflicted influence intercourse Irenæus justice Law of nations light of nature mankind means measures ment military mind moral neutral object ocean Old Testament opinion pacific passage perhaps persons practice present principles priva public code question rationally expect reason regard religious remark respect right of search Savior secure sentiments ships siderable period slave slave trade slavery society soldiers Spain spirit suffering suppose sword taken Tertullian things Thou shalt tion treaty undoubtedly unto vessels violence wars whole writers
208. oldal - And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good ? there is none good but one, that is, God : but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
109. oldal - Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip : and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
108. oldal - Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, "Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment." But I say unto you that whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment; and whosoever shall say to his brother, "Raca," shall be in danger of the council.
209. oldal - Think not that I am come to destroy the law or the prophets; I am not come to destroy but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
136. oldal - And all they in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath, and rose up and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong.
94. oldal - And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.
54. oldal - ... that comes from abroad, or is grown at home — taxes on the raw material — taxes on every fresh value that is added to...
101. oldal - But the wisdom that is from above, is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.
95. oldal - ... but with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked. And righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins, and faithfulness the girdle of his reins.