Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
advance April arms army arrived artillery attack battery battle bayonet brave brigade called camp Captain capture cause cavalry Centreville charge citizens Colonel Colonel Baker command Confederate Corinth dead division East Tennessee Ellsworth enemy enemy's engaged Federal fell field fight fire flag flank followed force forward fought front gallant gathered gave Government Governor guard gunboats guns hand heart hill honor horse hour hundred Illinois infantry Jefferson Davis Kentucky killed Leesburg Lexington Lieutenant Lyon Massachusetts McClellan McClernand ment miles military Mississippi Missouri morning never night North Northern o'clock officers Ohio Orleans passed patriotic position prisoners rebels reenforcements regiment retreat river road Scott secession sent shell shot soldiers soon South South Carolina Southern spirit Springfield steamers Tennessee thousand tion took traitors treason troops Union Union army Varuna vessel Virginia volunteers Washington wounded Yankee York Zagonyi Zouaves
107. oldal - To reverence the King, as if he were Their conscience, and their conscience as their King, To break the heathen and uphold the Christ, To ride abroad redressing human wrongs, To speak no slander, no, nor listen to it, To lead sweet lives in purest chastity, To love one maiden only, cleave to her, And worship her by years of noble deeds. Until they won her...
342. oldal - Yours of this date, proposing armistice and appointment of Commissioners to settle terms of capitulation, is just received. No terms except an unconditional and immediate surrender can be accepted. I propose to move immediately upon your works.
59. oldal - And when the fight is hottest, before the traitors fly, When shell and ball are screeching and bursting in the sky, If any shot should hit me, and lay me on my face, My soul would go to Washington's, and not to Arnold's place I
9. oldal - ... from the Union ; and in every event the utmost care will be observed, consistently with the objects aforesaid, to avoid any devastation, any destruction of or interference with property, or any disturbance of peaceful citizens in any part of the country ; and I hereby command the persons composing the combinations aforesaid to disperse, and retire peaceably to their respective abodes within twenty days from this date.
19. oldal - I pray you to cause the bodies of our Massachusetts soldiers dead in Baltimore to be immediately laid out, preserved in ice and tenderly sent forward by express to me. All expenses will be paid by this Commonwealth.
62. oldal - And venever he flung his stick or his stone, He'd set up a song of "Let me alone.
14. oldal - I have only to say that the militia of Virginia, will not be furnished to the powers at Washington for any such use or purpose as they have in view.
253. oldal - States, for the purpose of meeting pressing exigencies affecting the common rights, interests, and safety of said Commonwealth and said Confederacy :
342. oldal - SIR: — The distribution of the forces under my command, incident to an unexpected change of commanders, and the overwhelming force under your command, compel me, notwithstanding the brilliant success of the Confederate arms yesterday, to accept the ungenerous and unchivalrous terms which you propose.
168. oldal - On the 19th of April he left the armory-door of the Seventh, with his hand upon a howitzer; on the 21st of June his body lay upon the same howitzer at the same door, wrapped in the flag for which he gladly died, as the symbol of human freedom. And so, drawn by the hands of young men lately strangers to him, but of whose bravery and loyalty he had been the laureate, and who fitly mourned him who had honored them, with long, pealing dirges and muffled drums, he moved forward. Yet such was the electric...