Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
abilities able acquired admired amusement ancient appear attention beauty become believe boys called cause certainly character Christian church classical common consequence consider contempt delight desire display divine effect elegant English example excellence exercise expression fashion feel genius give grace greatly happiness heart honour human idea improvement influence instruction interest judgment kind knowledge labour language Latin learning less letters living manner mean mind mode moral nature necessary never object observed opinion parents passions perhaps persons philosophers pleasure poetry poets polite possess practice present pride produced profession reason received recommend religion remarkable render requires respect scholar schools seems sense sentiments speaking spirit style sufficient supposed taste thing thought tion true truth understanding universal usually virtue wish write young
169. oldal - Thou shalt not make to thyself any graven image, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, or in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down to them nor worship them : For I the Lord thy God am a jealous God ; and visit the sins of the fathers upon the children, unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me ; and show mercy unto thousands in them that love me, and keep my commandments.
273. oldal - And the LORD smelled a sweet savour ; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.
168. oldal - God's wrath against us; we provoke him to plague us with divers diseases, and sundry kinds of death.
274. oldal - If I were hungry I would not tell thee : for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof. Will I eat the flesh of bulls, or drink the blood of goats ? Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most high.
173. oldal - All the Books of the Bible are either already most admirable, and exalted pieces of Poesie, or are the best Materials in the world for it. Yet, though they be in themselves so proper to be made use of for this purpose ; None but a good Artist will know how to do it : neither must we think to cut and polish Diamonds with so little pains and skill as we do Marble. For if any man design to compose a Sacred Poem, by only turning a story of the Scripture, like Mr. Quarles's, or some other godly matter,...
186. oldal - THE Lord descended from above, And bowed the heavens most high ; And underneath his feet he cast The darkness of the sky. 2 On cherub and on cherubim, Full royally he rode ; And on the wings of mighty winds Came flying all abroad.
258. oldal - ... to prevail, when the passions have subsided. The wretch who, after having seen the consequences of a thousand errors, continues still to blunder, and whose age has only added obstinacy to stupidity, is surely the object either of abhorrence or contempt, and deserves not that his grey hairs should secure him from insult.
36. oldal - They will either teach you so to regulate your conduct as to be able to set the most malicious inquiries at defiance ; or, if that be a lost hope, they will teach you prudence enough not to attract the public attention to a character which will only pass without censure when it passes without observation.
273. oldal - Then he took his eldest son that should have reigned in his stead, and offered him for a burnt offering upon the wall. And there was great indignation against Israel : and they departed from him, and returned to their own land.