Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
arms army asked ball battery battle battle of Chickamauga battle of Gettysburg boat bonnie Blue Flag boys brave brigade bushwhackers called camp Capt Captain captured cavalry charge cheers Colonel command Confederate dead death enemy enemy's eral escape eyes feet fell field fight fire flag Fort Donelson friends front gallant gave give ground guard guns hand head heard heart hill horse hour hundred incident Ishmael Day Kentucky killed lady Lieutenant look Maryland ment miles Minie ball morning mountain musket never niggers night North Carolina o'clock officer passed pickets poor prisoners rear rebel regiment replied retreat rifle river road rode secesh sent shell shot shout side soldier soon Stonewall Jackson tell thought tion told took troops turned Union woods wounded Yankee young Zouaves
103. oldal - His truth is marching on. I have seen Him in the watch-fires of a hundred circling camps; They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps; I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps His day is marching on. I have read a fiery gospel, writ in burnished rows of steel; "As ye deal with my contemners, so with you my grace shall deal; Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel, Since God is marching on.
103. oldal - Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer him! be jubilant, my feet! Our God is marching on. In the beauty of the lilies, Christ was born across the sea, With a glory in his bosom that transfigures you and me. As he died to make men holy, let us die to make men free — While God is marching on.
283. oldal - God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him might not perish, but have everlasting life.
243. oldal - WHEN I can read my title clear To mansions in the skies, I'll bid farewell to every fear, And wipe my weeping eyes.
103. oldal - He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat; He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment seat : Oh ! be swift, my soul, to answer Him ! be jubilant, my feet ! Our God is marching on. In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea, With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me : As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free, While God is marching on.
434. oldal - New occasions teach new duties : Time makes ancient good uncouth ; They must upward still, and onward, who would keep abreast of Truth ; Lo, before us gleam her camp-fires ! we ourselves must Pilgrims be, Launch our Mayflower, and steer boldly through the desperate winter sea. Nor attempt the Future's portal with the Past's blood-rusted key.
250. oldal - How fleet is a glance of the mind ! Compared with the speed of its flight, The tempest itself lags behind, And the swift-winged arrows of light. When I think of my own native land, In a moment I seem to be there; But alas! recollection at hand Soon hurries me back to despair.
183. oldal - From the camp on the shore. Then far away to the south uprose A little feather of snow-white smoke, And we knew that the iron ship of our foes Was steadily steering its course To try the force Of our ribs of oak. Down upon us heavily runs, Silent and sullen, the floating fort; Then comes a puff of smoke from her guns, And leaps the terrible death, With fiery breath, From each open port. We are not idle, but send her straight Defiance back in a full broadside! As hail rebounds from a roof of slate,...
82. oldal - Except now and then a stray picket Is shot, as he walks on his beat, to and fro, By a rifleman hid in the thicket. 'Tis nothing: a private or two, now and then, Will not count in the news of the battle; Not an officer lost, — only one of the men, Moaning out, all alone, the death-rattle." All quiet along the Potomac...