The Boy's Own Book of Boats: Including Vessels of Every Rig and Size to be Found Floating on the Waters in All Parts of the World : Together with Complete Instructions, how to Make Sailing Models
S. Low, Son and Marston, 1868 - 352 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
able Author beam block boat boom bowsprit built cabins called canoe captain carry centre close cloth coast completely covered craft crew cutter deck described draw easily Edition eight employed English entirely feet fish fitted fixed flat fore and aft formed forward four gaff give guns hauled head hoisted hold hole hundred Illustrations inches iron keel keep knot larger length light look lower mainsail mast means move narrow nearly oars officers paddle pass pieces placed plank port present reefed rigged rises rivers rope round rudder sail schooners screw secured seen serve shape sheet ship shot shrouds side sometimes splice square standing steer stem stern thick timber tons topsail turned upper vessel wind wood yachts yard
318. oldal - Publishers' Circular (The), and General Record of British and Foreign Literature ; giving a transcript of the title-page of every work published in Great Britain, and every work of interest published abroad, with lists of all the publishing houses. Published regularly on the ist and isth of every Month, and forwarded post free to all parts of the world on payment of 8s.
317. oldal - Origin and History of the English Language, and of the early literature it embodies. By the Hon. George P. Marsh. US Minister at Turin, Author of " Lectures on the English Language.
316. oldal - There is not a single thought in the volume that does not contribute in some measure to the formation of a true gentleman.
315. oldal - ' We should be glad if any words of ours could help to bespeak a large circulation for this handsome attractive book ; and who can refuse his homage to the good-humoured industry of the editor.
314. oldal - Bloomfield's Farmer's Boy. Campbell's Pleasures of Hope. Coleridge's Ancient Mariner. Goldsmith's Deserted Village. Goldsmith's Vicar of Wakefield. Gray's Elegy in a Churchyard. Keat's Eve of St. Agnes. Milton's L' Allegro. Poetry of Nature. Harrison Weir. Rogers' (Sam.) Pleasures of Memory Shakespeare's Songs and Sonnets.
315. oldal - Familiar Words. An Index Verborum, or Quotation Handbook. Affording an immediate Reference to Phrases and Sentences that have become embedded in the English language. 3rd and enlarged Edition. 6s. "The most extensive dictionary of quotation we have met with." — Notes and Queries. Essays by Montaigne. Edited and Annotated by the Author of "The Gentle Life.
318. oldal - The Ladies' Reader : with some Plain and Simple Rules and Instructions for a good style of Reading aloud, and a variety of Selections for Exercise. By George Vandenhoff, MA, Author of " The Art of Elocution." Fcap. 8vo. Cloth, 5s. The Clerical Assistant : an Elocutionary Guide to the Reading of the Scriptures and the Liturgy, several passages being marked for Pitch and Emphasis: with some Observations on Clerical Brouchitus. By George Vandenhoff, MA Fcap, 8vo. Cloth, 3s. 6d The Art of Elocution as...
318. oldal - The volumes before us show a vast amount of diligence; but with Webster it is diligence in combination with fancifulness, — with Worcester in combination with good sense and judgment. Worcester's is the soberer and safer book, and may be pronounced the best existing English Lexicon.