« ElőzőTovább »
in the county of Salop, very suddenly, Jan. 1. At Edinburgh, Mrs Elizabeth , Mrs Cornewall, Lady of the Rev. Dr Cleghorn, widow of the deceased Mr Cornewall, Dean of Canterbury, and lifter James Hotchkis, brewer in Edinburgh. to the Marchioness of Abercorn.
2. At Dunfermline, Mrs May Hart, 26. At Newcastle-upon-Tyne, in the manufacturer of shirt, bed, and table ligift year of his age, the Rev. Richard Dens. Jamieson, fome time minister of the E. - At Glasgow, in the goth year of piscopal Congregation at Dumfries, and her age, Mrs Janet Fleming, widow of afterwards, for many years, Chaplain to the late Mr James Scott of Rucherglen. the English factory at Dantzig. By the 5. Ac Edinburgh, Mrs Adam, widow advantage of a learned and liberal edu- of the deceased John Adam of Marycation at Edinburgh, which he improved burgh, Esq. during his residence at Dumfries, and by -. At Annan, John Irving, Esg. of affiduous conversation with the late Rev. Gullielands, in the Soth year of his age. Dr Blacklock, he acquired a correct and 7. At Drynie, William Mackenzie, elegant tafte for literature.
Efg. of Pitlundie, aged 85 years. 27. At Glasgow, Mrs Agnes Alfton, - The Right Hon. Francis Viscountrelict of the deceased James Morton, Esq. ess Kenmore. merchant there.
-. At Airdpatrick, Argyleshire, Ange - Mr Alexander Hendrie, grocer in us M'Alefter, Elg. of Loup. in Edinburgh.
8. Ai Kirkcudbright, Mrs Margaret -, Mr George Willox, merchant in Elliot, wife of Robert Boyd, merchant Old Aberdeen.
in Glasgow. -, At Curr in Strathspey, Mrs Grace . At Queensferry, James Dalgleita Grant, widow of the Rev. Mr Patrick of Reddoch, Esq. in the gift year of hiş Grant, late minifter of Cromdale.
age. : -. At Inverkip, Janet Lyon, aged 98. ' . At Dumfries, Mrs Johnston, wife!
28. At Bridgend of Dumfries, Chas. of Mr George Johnston of the CoffeeMacdonald, aged 100 years.
house. " - At Aberdour, Fifeshire, Mifs Jess -. At Cupar in Fife, Mrs Katharine Lifton, third daughter of the Rev. Mr Balfour, daughter to the late Major Hen. Lifton.
ry Balfour of Dunboig. . -. At London, the Hon. Mrs Mur. 8. At the house of Lochridge, Ma. ray, wife of Admiral Murray, M. P. and thew Stewart, Eiq. of Lochridge. daughter of Thomas Lord King.
9. At his house in St Patrick's Square, 29. At his house in George-ftreet, George Keith Marshal, Efq. of Northa Thomas Wilkinfon, Esq. of Barrow- field, in the 70th year of his age, most hill.
juftly regretted. - At Glasgow, Mr John Young, ii. Ac Edinburgh, Mrs Jean Clerk, merchant in Glasgow.
widow of the late James Smollett, Esq. --. At Banff Castle, the Right Hon. of Bonhill. the Countess Dowager of Findlater and 13. At Perth, Mungo Murray, Esq. Seafield.
of Kincairney. 30. At his house in Prince's street, Jas. 15. Miss Catharine Wilkinson, fourth Mackenzie, Esq. of Forret.
daughter of the deceased Thomas Wil31. At Banff, aged 68, Mrs Barbara kinfon, of Barrowhill, Esq. Strachan, spouse of George M.Killigin, --, Mr John Anderson, F. R. SS. Esq. present provost of Banff.
Lond. and Edin. and Professor of NatuLately, at Aux Cayes in St Domingo, ral Philofophy in the University of Glaro on his return from America, Duncan gow, much regretted, in the 70th year of Campbell, Esq. of Knapdalt in the island his age, and 4ift of his Professorship. of Jamaica.
He was the author of many useful and -, Samuel Falknor, efq. upon his ingenious inventions. passage to the Isle of Man, from Ireland, 16. At Camberweil, Mr David Richwas drowned, together with his nephew, ardson, of Paton Square, London. William Montgomery, Esq.
20. At Stirling, Mrs Edward Alexan, at Weston, Gen. Jas. Johnson, deros Colonel of the Scots Greys.
25. At Greenock, Mrs Mary Boog, àt Aberdeen, Adam Duff, Esq. wife of Mr David Williamson, merchant , formerly provoft of that city.
· LITERARY MISCELLANY,
FOR FEBRUARI 1796 ;
si , FONTENTS:...
Page Register of the Weather for Feb. 82 Northumberland, - . 122 Description of the View, . : 83 Of the Sentiments of the Soul, 123 A New Description of St Peters
Of Mental Affections, . ib. burg, ... - - • - - 85 Of the Sentiment of Inno. Memoirs of Sir Charles Linnæus, i cence, • • • • • 124 Extracts from the “Survey of
Of Pity, - .. . - - 125 the Central Highlands," : .93 Of the Love of Country, 126 Management of Ettates, - 97
Of the Sentiment of Admi. • Principles of Improve. i.
. ration, . - - • • 127 ment, · · · - . 101. Of the Marvellous, . 128 A Satirical Puppet Show, . 102 The Pleasure of Mystery, ib. Miscellaneous Extracts; from Dr . The Pleasure of Ignorance, 129
Anderson's Life of Johnson, · 106 Observations on Coins, . . 131 Character of James Bofwell, Books and Pamphlets published
E/q. . . . ., - ib. in January 1796, . . • 134 Observations on Dr Johnson's The False Alarm; a Moral Story,136
Epitaph on a Duck, writ., : ww ? POETRY.' ,
ten at three years of age, 107 Winter; an Ode, · . 141 Account of Dr Johnson's Elegiac Lines to the Memory of
Debates in the Senate of Mrs Cruickshark of Strathca.
Lilliput, - ... - 108 thro, . - - - • - ib. Remarks on Dr Johnson's Verses addressed to a Blackbird, 142
Letter to the Earl of Chef The Rainbow ; a Simile, • 143
terfield, · · · · ib. Reflections on a Nobleman's Mo. Observations on Dr Johnson's ' nument, .... .. ib.
Pension, ..;. 110 Ode to Peace, • .ib Critique on Dr Johnson's Elegy to the Memory of 7. Cour.
Shakespeare, • .i. ib. tenay, a Cadet in the Corps of Critique on Rafjelas, Prince Engineers, · · · · · 144
of Abyssinia, .'. - 111 ' Critique on Dr Johnson's Proceedings of the Sixth Parlia. Tragedy of Irene, • 112 ment of Great Britain, - . 145 Some Account of Marat, · 114 MONTHLY REGISTER. Minutes of Agriculture, from the Interesting Intelligence from the
Reports of the Agricultural London Gazettes, · · · 153
Leicestershire, . . . - ib. Births, - - - - - - - 158
State of the Barometer in inches and decimals, and of Farenheit's Ther
MOMETER in the open air, taken in the morning before. sun-rise, and at noon; and the quantity of rain-water fallen, in inches and decimals, from February ist to 29th, within one mile of the Castle of Edinburgh.
1796. Feb. 1