Three sermons; Of forms of prayer, and particularly those of the church of England; Pharisaism and popery parallel'd; On the fast-day 1745, before the honourable House of commons
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
againſt alſo Apoſtle appear authority becauſe beſt better bleſſing Chriſtians church common devotion diſciples divine duty enemies England eſtabliſh evils excellent faith fame fear firſt foreign form of prayer France give given greateſt hands hath heart himſelf holy honor Houſe John join judgment keep king kingdom leaſt liberty likewiſe liturgy Lord Luke manner matter means moſt muſt never obſerve occaſions ourſelves papiſts particular peace perhaps perſons popery popiſh pray prayer preſent Pretender prieſts prince proper proteſtant raiſe reaſon recommend reign religion repent Rome ſaid ſame Saviour ſay Scribes and Phariſees ſcripture ſee ſervice ſet forms ſhall ſhould ſome ſpirit ſuch thee themſelves theſe things Thomas thoſe thou tion true underſtand unto uſe vices whole woe denounced worſhip
24. oldal - For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him ; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
70. oldal - Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
86. oldal - And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.
49. oldal - And when they come from the market, except they wash, they eat not. And many other things there be, which they haVe received to hold, as the washing of cups, and pots, brazen vessels, and of tables.
99. oldal - Let the priests, the ministers of the Lord, weep between the porch and the altar, and let them say, Spare thy people, O Lord, and give not thine heritage to reproach, that the heathen should rule over them : wherefore should they say among the people, Where is their God ? Then will the Lord be jealous for his land, and pity his people.
99. oldal - Then will the Lord be jealous for His land, and pity His people. Yea, the Lord will answer and say unto His people, Behold, I will send you corn, and wine, and oil, and ye shall be satisfied therewith : and I will no more make you a reproach among the heathen : but I will remove far off from you the northern army, and will drive him into a land barren and desolate, with his face toward the east sea, and his hinder part toward the utmost sea, and his stink shall come up, and his ill savour shall come...
30. oldal - such an excellent form of prayer, let us reverence it accordingly ; resort to it frequently ; attend to it devoutly ; accompany it not only with our lips, but with our hearts ; repeat what we are to repeat ; and answer what we are to answer ; join in every prayer of the minister with our mind, and in every response and Amen with our voice : and in all respects behave like those who are in the more immediate presence of God. Then will '• the words of our mouths and...
90. oldal - Yea, becaufe of the houfe of the Lord our God : I will feek to do thee good.
26. oldal - ... posture. But by the beautiful intermixture of prayer and praise, of supplication and thanksgiving, of confession and absolution, of hymns and creeds, of psalms and lessons, our weariness is relieved, our attention is renewed, and we are led on agreeably from one subject to another. The frame...