Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
Gyakori szavak és kifejezések
able admit amount appears become better boards body called capital cause character classes Commons consequence considerable containing continued course doubt duty effect England entirely equal existence fact feel force foreign France give given Government greater hand honour House important increase industry interest Italy Knight labour land late least less live look Lord manner manufactured matter means measure meeting ment millions nature necessary never object observed occasion once operation opinion original passed perhaps period persons poor practice present principle produce question readers reason remarkable respect rocks seems short society sound spirit sufficient supposed taken thing thou tion trade turned vols wages whole
69. oldal - In the four quarters of the globe, who reads an American book? or goes to an American play? or looks at an American picture or statue?
68. oldal - The schoolboy whips his taxed top; the beardless youth manages his taxed horse, with a taxed bridle, on a taxed road ; and the dying Englishman, pouring his medicine, which has paid...
133. oldal - Committee of the House of Commons, appointed to inquire into the Bankrupt Laws ; and i This and the two preceding motions were lost by large majorities.
16. oldal - Thus exhorted Hubert resumed his place, and not neglecting the caution which he had received from his adversary, he made the necessary allowance for a very light air of wind, which had just arisen, and shot so successfully that his arrow alighted in the very centre of the target. " A Hubert! a Hubert!" shouted the populace, more interested in a known person than in a stranger. " In the clout! — in the clout! — a Hubert forever!" " Thou canst not mend that shot, Locksley," said the Prince, with...
15. oldal - One by one the archers, stepping forward, delivered their shafts yeomanlike and bravely. Of twentyfour arrows shot in succession, ten were fixed in the target, and the others ranged so near it that, considering the distance of the mark, it was accounted good archery. Of the ten shafts which hit the target, two within the inner ring were shot by Hubert, a forester in the service of Malvoisin, who was accordingly pronounced victorious. "Now, Locksley...
28. oldal - They pull down the piles and palisades; they hew down the barriers with axes. His high black plume floats abroad over the throng, like a raven over the field of the slain. They have made a breach in the barriers — they rush in — they are thrust back!
335. oldal - Lands intersected by a narrow frith Abhor each other. Mountains interposed, Make enemies of nations, who had else Like kindred drops been mingled into one.
27. oldal - A singular novelty,' muttered the knight, ' to advance to storm such a castle without pennon or banner displayed! Seest thou who they be that act as leaders ?' 'A knight, clad in sable armour, is the most conspicuous,' said the Jewess; ' he alone is armed from head to heel, and seems to assume the direction of all around him.