« ElőzőTovább »
2. What is it thou now delightest thyself
with in the midst of all thy Troubles? How seldom dost thou think
of Christ? 3. If thou truly believest, by resting
upon Christ, how com' it thou to live in so many Sins, without mourning for them, and turning from them? Is not every one that is in Christ, a new Creature? 2 Cor.
V. 17. ģ. Examine thy Faith in Chrift. 1. By thy Knowledge of Him.
thy Love to Him. 3. thy Longing after Him,
thy performing Duties according to
His Command. 5. thy A&ting for Him, S. Jam. ii. 18. 4. Exhortation. Believe in Christ.
Consider, 1. How miserable thou wilt be without
Him. 1. Satan always domineering over, Z. Thy Sins always raging in, 3. GOD always frowning upon thee,
not only in Time, but to Eternity,
Pfal. vii. 11.
1. Thy Sins pardon'd.
MEANS. By, 1:. Prayer, S. Jam. i. s. 2. Reading 3. Hearing, Rom. X. 17. 4. Meditation. 1. Upon the Insufficiency of all Things
the Sufficiency of Christ.
Chrift's End in coming into the World.
AC T. xvii. 30. And the times of this Ignorance God wink'd
at, but now commandeth all Men every where to repent.
1. WHeathenisa Idolatry.
THat was the time of this Ignorance ?
II. How did GOD wink at this time, imecedávo
1. Not as if He wink'd at their Sins or pardon'd them, Rom. ii. 12.
2. But GOD did not so respect those times, as to send His Son then, or He pass’d them over, as the Syriack translates it. He permitted them to be times of Ignorance.
III. Why is it said, that He non commandeth all Men every where to repent, did He not do it before ? Yes, but
1. Not so clearly.
OBSERVATION. By the Coming of Christ, all Mankind is in a peculiar Manner commanded and oblig'd to repent.
1. We are enjoin'd by the Gospel to repent, S. Mark i. 15. S. Luk. xiii. 3.
2. What is Evangelical Repentance; it consists in,
I. Conviction. 2. Contrition. 3. Confession.
4. Conversion from Sin, st. iii. 19, 26.
i. 16, 17. A&t. xxvi. 20.
rity against Sin.
city of Salvation, A&t. ii. 37.
to us eternal Happiness and Misery:
1. What a glorious GOD you have offended, Job xlii. 5, 6.
2. What Obligations lie upon you to repent, Ifa. v. 4. Rom. ii. 4.
3. What dreadful Punishments you have deserv'd.
4. What special Notice GOD takes, whether you repent or no, Jer. viji. 6.
S. No Sin but is damnable without Repentance, no Sin but is pardonable with it.
AC T. xvii. 31.
Because He hath appointed a Day in the
which He will judge the World in Righteousness, by that Man whom He bath ordaind, whereof He hath given Asurance unto all Men, in that He bath rais'd Him from the Dead.
OD will judge the World.
1. What World ? 1. Not the Material. 2. Nor the Spiritual, which is judg'd al
ready, S. Jude 6. 2 S. Pet. ii. 4. 3. But the mixt World, Mankind, S. Joh. iii.
16. i Tim. ii. 4. All Men, S. Matth.
XXV. 32. 2 Cor. V. IỚ. 2. What is meant by judging the World ? 1. All Men shall appear personally before
Him, 2 Cor. v. 1o. 2. Every Man's Life upon Earth shall be
review'd and examin'd, what he hath,
and what he hath not done. 3. It will then be consider'd how each
Man's Life hath agreed with, or been contrary to, the reveald Will of GOD, S. Jam. ii. 12. Rom. ii. 14. for which end the Books Thall be on
pen'd, Rev. XX. 12. 1. The Book of GOD's Word. 2. of His Omniscience, Mal. iii. 16. 3. of Meas Consciences, Jer. xvii. 1.