Hearings Relating to Civil Service Commission Before Subcommittee of House Committee on Appropriations Consisting of Messrs. Bingham, Hemenway, Moody, Dockery, and Livingston, in Charge of Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Appropriation Bill for 1899
U.S. Government Printing Office, 1897 - 299 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
100 per cent ability as rapid Absence of physical additional for second amended answers in application appearance Applicants are graded application application blanks appointment Approved Arithmetic assistant cent additional cent for full certification CHAIRMAN Character as workman civil service classified clause clerk CLEVELAND Commission competitor Copying from plain customs defect gives rating Department district division educational test elements above specified eligible employed ENGINEER examination excepted EXECUTIVE Experience follows Four full period given graded graded simply habits of industry handwriting intelligence less Letter writing Marked on legibility names neatness Penmanship person plain copy position post-office presence of defect President printed lines PROCTER promotion questions Rated Rated 70 Rated on quality rating of 100 reduction from 100 regulations relative weights rules seven shown by answers simple English Spelling Subjects succeeding tional transfer United vacancy weights as follows Weights per cent
54. oldal - Such examinations shall be practical in their character, and so far as may be shall relate to those matters which will fairly test the relative capacity and fitness of the persons examined to discharge the duties of the service into which they seek to be appointed.
77. oldal - The President is authorized to prescribe such regulations for the admission of persons into the civil service of the United States as may best promote the efficiency thereof, and ascertain the fitness of each candidate in respect to age, health, character, knowledge, and ability...
30. oldal - But nothing herein contained shall be construed to take from those honorably discharged from the military or naval service any preference conferred by the seventeen hundred and fifty-fourth section of the Revised Statutes, nor to take from the President any authority not inconsistent with this act conferred by the seventeen hundred and fifty-third section of said statutes...
64. oldal - Third, appointments to the• public service aforesaid in the departments at Washington shall be apportioned among the several States and Territories and the District of Columbia upon the basis of population as ascertained at the last preceding census.
70. oldal - ... (1) full name, residence and postoffice address; (2) citizenship; (3) age; (4) place of birth; (5) health and physical capacity for the public service; (6) previous employment in the public service; (7) business or employment and residence for the previous five years; (8) education.
10. oldal - Such boards of examiners shall be so located as to make it reasonably convenient and inexpensive for applicants to attend before them ; and where there are persons to be examined in any State or Territory, examinations shall be held therein at least twice in each year.
26. oldal - The commission shall, at Washington, and in one or more places in each State and Territory where examinations are to take place, designate and select a suitable number of persons, not less than three, in the official service of the United States, residing1 in said State or Territory, after consulting the head of the department or office in which such persons serve, to be members of boards of examiners...
147. oldal - Director, certification shall be made of the eligible on the register whose rating is next below those already certified in place of the one to whom objection is made and sustained.
143. oldal - In making removals or reductions, or in imposing penalties for delinquency or misconduct, in the state service or city service penalties like in character shall be imposed for like offenses and action thereon shall be taken irrespective of the political opinions or affiliations of the offenders.