An Historical Account of the Ancient Town and Port of Wisbech, in the Isle of Ely, in the County of Cambridge: And of the Circumjacent Towns and Villages, the Drainage of the Great Level of the Fens, the Origin of the Royal Franchise of the Isle of Ely &c. ...
H. and J. Leach, 1827 - 700 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
acres afterwards aged ancient appears appointed bank Bedford belonging bishop bishop of Ely body bridge building burgesses called Cambridge castle channel chapel Charles church common considerable continued corporation course Cross daughter died directed district ditto drainage drains earl Edward erected expense feet fens five formed four gave given granted ground guild Guyhirn hall held Henry hundred improvement inhabitants isle of Ely James John king land late lived lord Lynn manor March meeting mentioned miles Nene Norfolk original Ouse outfall paid parish passed period persons poor possession present preserved probably purchase received records reign remains rents respect Richard river Robert Roman sewers shillings side sluice stone taken thereof Thomas town vicar waters whole William Wisbech
49. oldal - Action may plead the General Issue and give the special Matter in Evidence...
175. oldal - Lord of Ireland, To all to whom these present Letters shall come greeting; Know ye, that we...
336. oldal - Christians, may be led into the way of truth, and hold the faith in the unity of the spirit, in the bond of peace, and in righteousness of life.
114. oldal - Proud prelate, I understand you are backward in complying with your agreement : but I would have you know, that I, who made you what you are, can unmake you ; and if you do not forthwith fulfil your engagement, by God I will immediately unfrock you. Yours, as you demean yourself, Elizabeth.
181. oldal - Company, and their successors for ever, to be holden of us, our heirs and successors, as of our manor of East Greenwich, in our county of Kent, in free and common soccage, and not in capite...
108. oldal - Thou crownest the year with thy goodness ; and thy paths drop fatness. They drop upon the pastures of the wilderness : and the little hills rejoice on every side. The pastures are clothed with flocks ; the valleys also are covered over with corn ; they shout for joy, they also sing.
269. oldal - When I look upon the tombs of the great, every emotion of envy dies in me ; when I read the epitaphs of the beautiful, every inordinate desire goes out; when I meet with the grief of parents upon a tombstone, my heart melts with compassion ; when I see the tomb of the parents themselves, I consider the vanity of grieving for those whom we must quickly follow.
410. oldal - Act passed in the seventh and eighth years of the reign of his present majesty, for improving the outfall of the river Nene, and the drainage of the lands discharging their waters into the Wisbech river, and the navigation of the said Wisbech river from the upper end of Kinderley's Cut to the sea, and for embanking the salt marshes and bare sands lying between the said cut and the sea.