Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
Historical and Literary Celebrities; Being Biographical Sketches Selected ...
William Chambers,Robert Chambers
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2015
admiration afterwards appears army arrived beauty became believe British Brougham called carried cause character command Commons considerable continued course daughter death desire directed Duke duty effect England English expression eyes father feeling Fichte force fortune France French give hand head heart Heyne honour hope House human interest Italy Jeffrey king Lady learned less letters living look Lord Louis XVIII manner means mind Moore moral nature never object obtained once opinion parliament party passed Peel perhaps person philosopher poet political possessed present prince principles published reason received regard remained remarkable respect says seems society soon spirit success things thought tion took true turn whole writings young
26. oldal - Stone walls do not a prison make, Nor iron bars a cage; Minds innocent and quiet take That for an hermitage; If I have freedom in my love And in my soul am free, Angels alone, that soar above, Enjoy such liberty.
1. oldal - THE BODY of BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, Printer, (like the cover of an old book, its contents torn out, and stript of its lettering and gilding) lies here food for worms ; yet the work itself shall not be lost, for it will (as he believed) appear once more in a new and more beautiful edition, corrected and amended by THE AUTHOR.
19. oldal - Now came still evening on, and twilight gray Had in her sober livery all things clad ; Silence accompanied ; for beast and bird, They to their grassy couch, these to their nests, Were slunk, all but the wakeful nightingale, She all night long her amorous descant sung...
18. oldal - English compositions (at least for the last three years of our school education), he showed no mercy to phrase, metaphor, or image, unsupported by a sound sense, or where the same sense might have been conveyed with equal force and dignity in plainer words. Lute, harp, and lyre; Muse, Muses, and inspirations ; Pegasus, Parnassus, and Hippocrene were all an abomination to him.
11. oldal - We ask but for peace, liberty, and safety. We wish not a diminution of the prerogative, nor do we solicit the grant of any new right in our favor. Your royal authority over us, and our connection with Great Britain, we shall always carefully and zealously endeavor to support and maintain.
21. oldal - My horse moved on; hoof after hoof He raised, and never stopped : When down behind the cottage roof, At once, the bright moon dropped. What fond and wayward thoughts will slide Into a lover's head! "O mercy!" to myself I cried, "If Lucy should be dead!
30. oldal - Tis not too late to seek a newer world. Push off, and sitting well in order smite The sounding furrows ; for my purpose holds To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths Of all the western stars, until I die. It may be that the gulfs will wash us down : It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles, And see the great Achilles whom we knew. Tho' much is taken, much abides ; and tho...
25. oldal - Having now finished the work assigned me, I retire from the great theatre of action, and bidding an affectionate farewell to this august body, under whose orders I have so long acted, I here offer my commission, and take my leave of all the employments of public life.
25. oldal - A gentle answer did the old Man make, In courteous speech which forth he slowly drew: And him with further words I thus bespake, 'What occupation do you there pursue ? This is a lonesome place for one like you.