Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
adultery ancient answer apostle Aristotle authority better called canon cause charity Christ christian church civil command common commonwealth conscience corrupt council covenant deny discourse divine divorce doctrine duty evil faith fear force free commonwealth freedom give God’s gospel hath heave offering heresy heretic holy honor idolatry Jews judge judgment justice justly king kingdom labor land law of Moses learning less lest liberty licensing liturgy live lords magistrate marriage matter means ment mind ministers Moses nation nature never oath ofttimes opinions ordinance outward papist parliament PARLIAMENT OF ENGLAND peace perpetual person persuade Pharisees Plato preach prelates pretend protestant punishment reason reformation religion religious remedy saith Saviour schism scrip scripture soul spirit St Paul taught things thought tion tithes true truth tyranny tyrant virtue Waldenses whenas wherein whereof whole wisdom wise words worse
57. oldal - Truth indeed came once into the world with her Divine Master, and was a perfect shape most glorious to look on : but when he ascended, and his Apostles after him were laid asleep, then straight arose a wicked race of deceivers, who, as that story goes of the Egyptian Typhon with his conspirators, how they dealt with the good Osiris, took the virgin Truth, hewed her lovely form into a thousand pieces, and scattered them to the four winds.
21. oldal - For books are not absolutely dead things, but do contain a potency of life in them to be as active as that soul was whose progeny they are; nay, they do preserve as in a vial the purest efficacy and extraction of that living intellect that bred them.
343. oldal - Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. "For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
342. oldal - Thou shalt not make to thyself any graven image, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, or in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down to them, nor worship them...
281. oldal - If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?
34. oldal - Since therefore the knowledge and survey of vice is in this world so necessary to the constituting of human virtue, and the scanning of error to the confirmation of truth, how can we more safely, and with less danger scout into the regions of sin and falsity than by reading all manner of tracts, and hearing all manner of reason...
61. oldal - Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much arguing, much writing, many opinions ; for opinion in good men is but knowledge in the making. Under these fantastic terrors of sect and schism we wrong the earnest and zealous thirst after knowledge and understanding which God hath stirred up in this city.
58. oldal - Osiris, took the virgin truth, hewed her lovely form into a thousand pieces, and scattered them to the four winds. From that time ever since, the sad friends of truth, such as durst appear, imitating the careful search that Isis made for the mangled body of Osiris, went up and down, gathering up limb by limb still as they could find them.