Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
according action active affections animal appetites attend bear belong blessing body bring cause choose Christians comparatively conclusion conduct conscience consider constitution contemplate corrupt creature decision defect delight desires direct disease Education emotion enter eternal evil examine excellence excess exist expression fact faculties false feelings give happiness healthy heart human idea Idols imagination importance improvement injurious instruct intellect interest judgment kind knowledge lead Lecture light live maintain manner material matter memory mental misery moral nature ness notion objects observe obtain organs ourselves particular passions perhaps person of Sound Philosophy plant powers practical present proper reason reflecting regard relations Religion remember respect result rightly seek sense social sort soul Sound Mind speak spiritual structure suggest things thinking thought tion true truth understanding unhealthy unsound various visible wise wish wrong
51. oldal - Must dull suspense corrupt the stagnant mind? Must helpless man, in ignorance sedate, Roll darkling down the torrent of his fate? Must no dislike alarm, no wishes rise, No cries invoke the mercies of the skies? Inquirer cease, petitions yet remain, Which heav'n may hear, nor deem religion vain.
51. oldal - Implore his aid, in his decisions rest, Secure whate'er he gives, he gives the best. Yet, when the sense of sacred presence fires, And strong devotion to the skies aspires, Pour forth thy fervours for a healthful mind, Obedient passions, and a will resigned ; For love, which scarce collective man can fill ; For patience, sovereign o'er transmuted ill ; For faith, that, panting for a happier seat, Counts death kind nature's signal of retreat...
6. oldal - Midway from nothing to the Deity ! A beam ethereal, sullied, and absorpt ! Though sullied, and dishonoured, still divine ! Dim miniature of greatness absolute ! An heir of glory ! a frail child of dust ! Helpless immortal ! insect infinite ! A worm ! a god ! — I tremble at myself, And in myself am lost...
48. oldal - There's not a chain That hellish foes, confederate for his harm, Can wind around him, but he casts it off With as much ease as Samson his green withes.
51. oldal - Still raise for good the supplicating voice, But leave to Heaven the measure and the choice. Safe in his power whose eyes discern afar The secret ambush of a specious prayer ; Implore his aid, in his decisions rest, Secure whate'er he gives, he gives the best.
51. oldal - For love, which scarce collective man can fill; For patience, sovereign o'er transmuted ill; For faith, that, panting for a happier seat. Counts death kind Nature's signal of retreat. These goods for man the laws of Heaven ordain, These goods He grants, who grants the power to gain ; With these celestial Wisdom calms the mind, And makes the happiness she does not find.
44. oldal - My son, fear thou the LORD and the king : and meddle not with them that are given to change...
39. oldal - And is it in the flight of threescore years, To push eternity from human thought, And smother souls immortal in the dust? A soul immortal, spending all her fires, Wasting her strength in strenuous idleness, Thrown into tumult, raptured, or alarmed, At aught this scene can threaten or indulge, Resembles ocean into tempest wrought, To waft a feather, or to drown a fly.
48. oldal - Bless the LORD, 0 my soul, And forget not all his benefits : Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; Who healeth all thy diseases...
10. oldal - Hail wedded Love, mysterious law, true source Of human offspring, sole propriety In Paradise of all things common else. By thee adulterous lust was driven from men Among the bestial herds to range; by thee, Founded in reason, loyal, just, and pure, Relations dear, and all the charities Of father, son, and brother first were known.