Washington, and the Eleventh and Twelfth Corps, under command of General Hooker, were dispatched by rail to Nashville, to the support of Rosecrans, occupying a precarious position at Chattanooga. An army of twenty thousand men with all its trains and material, was taken up at Washington, and in eight days set down at Nashville, in condition for effective service.

On the 24th of October, 1863, the regiment was stationed at Bridgeport, Alabama. On the 28th, in pursuance of orders, it marched along the Cumberland river towards Chattanooga. On the 29th, the enemy was encountered in the vicinity of Wauhatchie Creek, and soon driven back across the stream. As the column passed Lookout Mountain, it was continually fired upon by the rebels posted on its summit, but without effect. The command encamped for the night near the river, having opened communication with Chattanooga. Shortly after midnight, it was aroused by the sound of heavy firing in the rear, and was ordered to the support of General Geary, who had been attacked. Moving at double quick time, the enemy was soon encountered, posted on a high, steep hill. The Seventythird Ohio, and Thirty-third Massachusetts were ordered to storm the heights, and after three unsuccessful attempts, they at last succeeded in driving the enemy from his position. As the final charge was made. the Twenty-seventh advanced on their left and captured some prisoners. In the morning, breast-works were thrown up, which were shelled by the rebels on Lookout Mountain. The line was gradually pushed forward towards the mountain, till it reached to the creek, and was daily shelled by the rebels, but with little effect. Notice of the resignation of Lieutenant Colonel Cantador was received while here, and Major McAloon was appointed to succeed him, Captain Reidt, of Company C, being promoted to the Majority.

Taking up the line of march on the 22d of November, and crossing the river twice on the way, the brigade arrived at Chattanooga the same evening, and encamped for the night. On the following day, leaving knapsacks and tents in camp, and taking only overcoats and haversacks, it marched a short distance beyond the town and took position in line of battle, already formed. The skirmishers soon became engaged, and drove the enemy, capturing a number of prisoners. The Thirty-third New York having been driven back, a part of the Twenty-seventh Regiment was ordered to its support, relieving it, and remaining out all night on the skirmish line. In the morning, as the skirmishers were being relieved, the rebels opened fire on them. Immediately re-forming, they again advanced, and out-flanking the assailants, took some prisoners. On the same evening, the regiment moved to the left, along the river, and joined Sherman's forces, then advancing towards Missionary Ridge. The Seventy-third Pennsylvania held the right of the brigade facing the ridge, the Twenty-seventh the left. The entire ridge was covered with breastworks, well supplied with guns. Sherman, a way to the left, was attempting to storm the mountain in his front. Shortly after noon, the Seventy-third advanced from the wood where it had been stationed, to the foot of the ridge and took possession of two block-houses. It was soon actively engaged, the rebels attempting to dislodge it. Companies A and B, of the Twenty-seventh, were ordered to its support, and advanced gallantly. The rest of the regiment, led by Lieutenant Colonel McAloon, followed, charging up the ridge to the left of the Seventy-third, and were joined on the way by the two detached companies. In the face of a hot fire of infantry and artillery, the column pushed forward, and without firing a shot, drove the enemy behind his last line of breast-works and to within a few paces of his battery. Too much exhausted by the charge up the rugged face of the ridge to seize their advantage in time, the enemy rallied and was re-inforced. For two hours this position was held, and until every cartridge had been used, the right flank of the regiment turned, and two-thirds of its number either killed or wounded; then, and not till then, was it forced to fall back.* The brave Lieutenant Colonel McAloon was carried off the field with five wounds, from the effects of which he died on the 7th of December, 1863. He was succeeded in command by Major Reidt. The regiment advanced to the charge two hundred and forty strong. Of this number, one officer and forty-five men were killed, and six officers and eighty men wounded.

On the 26th of November the regiment started in pursuit and subsequently made a long and wearisome march under Sherman, to the relief of Burnside, at Knoxville, beleaguered by Longstreet. On the 13th of December it returned to the neighborhood of Chattanooga. The sufferings of the men in this mid-winter march, without shelter or blankets, were intense. Having been ordered to leave their tents and knapsacks in camp before going into battle, they had been put upon the march without being allowed the opportunity of obtaining them. During the remainder of the winter the regiment continued in camp near Lookout Mountain,

In the re-organization of the army which ensued, the Eleventh and Twelfth Corps were consolidated, forming the Twentieth, under command of General Hooker. The Twenty-seventh Regiment was attached to the First Brigade of Geary's Division. On the 4th of May, 1864, an order was received to march. This had not been anticipated, and was the occasion of much ill feeling. The men had expected to be mustered out of service on the 5th of May, the day on which their services had been accepted, and from which they had received pay, and they were disposed to assert by violence what they had thought to be their rights; but a fair statement of their case by the commanding general of the division, caused better counsels to prevail. Falling into column as the army marched out, they shared in the honor as well as the hardships of that grand cam

*Extract from General Sherman's Official Report.

Bridgeport, Ala., December 19, 1863. The brigade of Colonel Buschbeck, belonging to the Eleventh Corps, which were the first to come out of Chattanooga to my flank, fought at the Tunnel Hill. ir with General Ewing's Division and displayed a courage almost amounting to rashness. Following the enemy almost to the tunnel gorge, it lost many valuable lives.

paign on Atlanta, the blow which burst the bubble known as the Southern Confederacy. At Rocky Face, Dug Gap, Resaca and Dallas they fought with their accustomed bravery. At Dallas, on the 25th of May, their term having now fully expired, they received orders to proceed to Philadelphia to be mustered out of service. Arriving on the 31st of May, they were paid and received their final discharges on the 11th of June, 1864, having been absent three years, and in the service three years and two months.

At their muster out they numbered three hundred and thirty-six officers and men. Of the officers who went out with the regiment, but one, a First Lieutenant, returned with it, now a Lieutenant Colonel, in command of the regiment; all of the other officers had been promoted from the ranks. Its original strength was one thousand and forty-six, and it received, at various times, recruits and conscripts to the number of three hundred. Company F, numbering one hundred men, was detached for special duty at Washington, early in the war and never again returned. Company G, having about eighty men, was transferred to the Sixty-ninth Pennsylvania. One hundred and fifty officers and men were killed in battle. Two hundred and fifty died from disease and wounds. Four hundred were wounded in action. One hundred and fifty (mostly conscripts) deserted; and two hundred and eighty were discharged for disability.

In June, 1866, the regiment was temporarily re-organized under the command of Captain Vogelbach of Company B, and participated in the ceremonies incident to the return of the flags to the Governor of the State, on the 4th of July. The old flag, with the names of the battles inscribed, was borne in the column by the remnants of a once strong regiment, and delivered to the Chief Executive, from whose hands they had received it.





MOMRADES of the Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteer

Infantry Regiment, I greet you! For the fourth time we meet to

renew out comradeship upon a former battlefield. In May, 1865, we halted upon the bloody field of Chancellorsville, while returning home from the war. Then and there we took up the body of our gallant leader, Major Lansford F. Chapman, who died while leading us in a charge, two years before. We have also met in reunion upon the fields of Gettysburg

« ElőzőTovább »