ceived, but in insufficient quantities, and the men were still obliged to subsist on short rations. On the 23d, 24th and 25th of November the battles of Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge were fought, which drove the enemy in disaster from our front. While these battles were in progress the Seventy-ninth was posted in the forts around Chattanooga and was not engaged.

On the 9th of February, 1864, two hundred and sixty-five of the regiment re-enlisted, and were mustered in on the 12th. On the 22d, instead of the veteran furlough as was anticipated, the regiment was ordered to move with the division to Tunnel Hill, held by the enemy. Forming line of battle as it came up with the hostile force, it advanced, under fire, and flanking the position compelled its abandonment. The enemy retired to Buzzard's Roost, where he was in strong force well posted to resist attack. After reconnoitring it, the command fell back without assaulting, passing Tunnell Hill and encamping at Tyler's Station. The regiment lost two wounded in this encounter. After a few days delay at this point, the veterans received the order for their furlough, and leaving Chattanooga on the 8th, arrived at Lancaster on the 16th. Returning at the expiration of the furlough, they found the brigade lying in front of the enemy at Buzzard's Roost, and at one P. M., on the 9th of May, once more moved into line. The campaign on Atlanta was now fully inaugurated, and the regiment prepared to breast the storm of battle, which continued to rage with little interruption until that stronghold of rebellion

struck by a fragment of shell, which disabled him, and Major Locher succeeded to the command. On the 11th the regiment was on the skirmish line and had one killed and several wounded. The enemy having fallen back, the division moved along the base of St. John's Mountain, through Snake Gap, had a brisk skirmish midway between Dalton and Resaca, and arrived at Resaca on the 16th of May. The Seventy-ninth was here detailed to collect the arms and bury the dead left upon the field. Fifteen hundred stands of arms were gathered, and two hundred and twentyeight of the enemy's dead buried. Soon afterwards, the regiment was sent to escort a wagon train to Acworth. This duty done, it rejoined the brigade, and was again engaged on the 18th of June, losing eight men wounded. In the operations in front of Kenesaw Mountain it was employed in throwing up works, and in skirmishing, losing several killed and wounded. In the advance of the enemy on the 20th, Major Locher and seven enlisted men were wounded, and the command devolved on Captain J. S. McBride. In connection with the Twenty-first Ohio it was

but with a loss of one killed and sixteen wounded.

operations to turn him out commenced. In these the regiment participated, and, upon the fall of the city, the division was commended for its gallantry in an order from General Carlin in command. After the occupation of the city the division was sent back as far as Marietta, where

[graphic][merged small]

it was engaged in repairing the railroad, which the enemy had destroyed. The losses during the entire Atlanta campaign were six killed, eighty-six wounded, twelve mortally, and two taken prisoners, an aggregate of ninety-four.

On the 16th of November, clothing and rations having been issued, the regiment set forward on the Great March to the Sea. The following brief extract from the record of its progress will illustrate the general character of that memorable march: “24th of November, left camp at seven A. M., crossing the Oconee River, marching ten miles on Sandersville Road and encamping. 25th, not on the march; day spent in foraging. 26th, left camp at seven A. M., the division in rear of cavalry train. A swamp at Buffalo Creek delayed the train, and it was midnight before the wagons all got over. 27th, left camp at seven, A. M.; crossing the swamp, marched three miles to Scragg Creek Swamp, passing through Sandersville at one P. M., and thence southeast, striking the Macon and Savannah Railroad and encamping. 28th, left camp at eight A. M., and at Davidsboro Station came up with the Twentieth Corps, engaged in tearing up the road.” On the 21st of December, the regiment entered Savannah, the enemy having retired without offering serious opposition. After its occupation the regiment went into camp a few miles from the city, where supplies of clothing were issued, and where it rested for a month.

On the 18th of January, 1865, the regiment broke camp, and passing through the city, started with the army on the march north through the Carolinas. On approaching the Black River, on the 15th of March, it was ascertained that the enemy in force under Hardee was in front. Three days later a part of the Twentieth Corps had an engagement at Swiss Farm, the First Division of the Fourteenth Corps being in line, but not engaged. On the morning of the 19th the division, the Third Brigade in advance, moved for Goldsboro. Skirmishing began soon after leaving camp, and the line of battle was formed as the troops came up. The enemy was found in position and soon opened briskly. The Seventyninth was posted in support of the First Division Battery, but was soon ordered away, three of its number being wounded as it passed. A line of works was hastily thrown up and a charge ordered to develop the enemy's strength. The Seventy-ninth was of the charging column. It moved boldly up to within thirty yards of the rebel works, when receiving a murderous fire, and the supporting regiment giving way, it was forced to yield. The charge had been made along the entire line, but was repulsed at every point, with heavy loss. Soon after, the division was flanked, and the rebels swarming in behind the works drove regiment after regiment towards the right. The Seventy-ninth held the extreme right of the division, and the enemy now in flank and rear had reached the line of the brigade. Quickly changing front to meet the advancing foe, the regiment charged, encountering a terrific fire. By hard fighting the brigade held the ground until the troops in rear had thrown up breastworks, when it retired. During the night the works were strengthened and securely established. In this engagement, known as the battle of

Bentonville, the loss was thirteen killed and forty-six wounded. Lleutenant Colonel Miles, in command of the brigade, was among the wounded. On the 22d the command moved on to Goldsboro, where the regiment received two hundred recruits. From Goldsboro it moved to Raleigh, and thence to Martha's Vineyard, where it was encamped when news was received that General Johnston had surrendered, and the war was practically at an end. At quick step and with light hearts, the division marched via Richmond to the neighborhood of Washington, where, on the 12th of July, the regiment was mustered out of service.



N ARLY in December, 1861, recruiting for this regiment was com

menced, under the direction of Henry J. Stainrook, a citizen of

Chester county. Heađquarters and Barracks were established on Chestnut street, Philadelphia, opposite the State House, and with the exception of two companies, the regiment was recruited in that city. It was organized with the following field officers, their commissions dating from November 8, 1861: Henry J. Stainrook, Colonel; Charles M. Harris, Lieutenant Colonel; William A. Gray, Major. On the 28th of March, 1862, it went into camp at Oxford Park, and eight days thereafter removed to Nicetown. On the 9th of May a set of colors was presented at the hands of ex-Governor Pollock, and on the following day it proceeded to Washington. The State arms were here exchanged for Belgian rifles, and drill and discipline were studiously prosecuted. On the 24th of May, the enemy having gained the battle of McDowell a few days previous, and now concentrating in the upper Shenandoah Valley, the regiment was ordered to Harper's Ferry, to the support of Banks, and was posted on Bolivar Heights, pickets being thrown out as far as the village of Halltown. Stragglers from the front soon made their appearance, followed by the trains and entire force of Banks, set upon and closely pursued by Jackson in vastly superior numbers. On the 29th the enemy made his appearance on the regiment's front, and the first hostile shots were heard, the roar of artillery awakening echoes across the mountain streams. At night the regiment was withrawn from the Virginia shore.

Without crossing the Potomac, or pausing on reaching it, Jackson rapidly retraced his steps and made the best of his way to join Lee before Richmond. Banks followed, and finding that his adversary had escaped,

*Extract from Bates' History of Pennsylvania Volunteers. Have not yet erected monument on field.

« ElőzőTovább »