Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
addition advance American appointed approved arms Army arrived artillery assistant attack August authorized battalions battle called campaign capital captain cause cavalry Chief colonel command commissioned Committee companies Conduct Confederate Congress consisted Constitution corps defense Department directed discharge discipline division duty effect enemy enlisted establishment execution fact field follows force four furnished further give given Government governors House important increase Indians infantry instructions Joint July June killed land less letter lieutenants loss major March McClellan ment miles military militia months move movement nearly necessary officers operations organization passed persons position Potomac present President privates raised rank Rebellion received recruits regiments regular remained Report River Secretary sent serve soldiers staff strength supplies tion troops Union United Virginia volunteers Washington whole wounded
31. oldal - The United States in Congress assembled shall have authority to appoint a committee to sit in the recess of Congress, to be denominated " a committee of the States," and to consist of one delegate from each State ; and to appoint such other committees and civil officers as may be necessary for managing the general affairs of the United States, under their direction — to appoint one of their number to preside, provided that no person be...
31. oldal - States an account of the sums of money so borrowed or emitted, to build and equip a navy, to agree upon the number of land forces, and to make requisitions from each State for its quota, in proportion to the number of white inhabitants in such State; which requisition shall be binding, and thereupon the legislature of each State shall appoint the regimental officers, raise the men, and clothe, arm, and equip them in a soldier,like manner, at the expense of the United States; and the officers and...
30. oldal - States in congress assembled, for the defence of such State or its trade; nor shall any body of forces be kept up by any State in time of peace, except such number only as, in the judgment of the United States in congress assembled, shall be deemed requisite to garrison the forts necessary for the defence of such State...
456. oldal - They bore, indeed, this character upon their face, for they were made payable only " after the ratification of a treaty of peace between the Confederate States and the United States of America.
227. oldal - I deem it proper to say that the first service assigned to the forces hereby called forth will probably be to repossess the forts, places, and property which have been seized from the Union...
312. oldal - I feel too earnestly to-night. I have seen too many dead and wounded comrades to feel otherwise than that the government has not sustained this army. If you do not do so now, the game is lost.
30. oldal - The said states hereby severally enter into a firm league of friendship with each other for their common defence, the security of their liberties, and their mutual and general welfare, binding themselves to assist each other against all force offered to, or attacks made upon them, or any of them, on account of religion, sovereignty, trade, or any other pretence whatever.
68. oldal - There are four things, which, I humbly conceive, are essential to the well-being, I may even venture to say, to the existence of the United States, as an independent power.
31. oldal - The taxes for paying that proportion shall be laid and levied by the authority and direction of the legislatures of the several states within the time agreed upon by the united states in congress assembled.
31. oldal - The committee of the states, or any nine of them, shall be authorized to execute, in the recess of congress, such of the powers of congress as the united states in congress assembled, by the consent of nine states, shall from, time to time think expedient to vest them with ; provided that no power be delegated to the said committee, for the exercise of which, by the articles of confederation, the voice of nine states in the congress of the united states assembled is requisite.