Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
admirable affection againſt appear attended beauty become character charms danger death delight deſire duty earth equally eternal expect fear feel firſt folly fortune friendſhip give hand happineſs happy heart himſelf honour hope hour human juſt kind labour lady laſt leaſt leſs light live London look mankind means mind mortals moſt muſt nature never night object obſerved once ourſelves pain paſſions peace perſon pleaſing pleaſure poor preſent pride prove reaſon reflection religion render reſpect rich riſe ſame ſay ſcene ſee ſenſe ſhall ſhe ſhould ſome ſoul ſtate ſtill ſuch ſure thee themſelves theſe thing thoſe thou thought tion true truly truth turn uſeful vice virtue virtuous wealth whole whoſe wiſdom young youth
52. oldal - The following question is started by one of the school-men. Supposing the whole body of the earth were a great ball or mass of the finest sand, and that a single grain or particle of this sand should be annihilated every thousand years. Supposing then that you had it in your choice to be happy all the while this prodigious mass...
20. oldal - I say, he should know that this set of creatures are to exist to all eternity in another life, for which they make no preparations? Nothing can be a greater...
292. oldal - God's your friend. Weigh well your part, and do your best ; Leave to your Maker all the rest.
10. oldal - M. fent ftate, which, though of an inferiour order, muft not be overlooked in the eftimate of human life. It is neceflary to call attention to thefe, in order to check that repining and unthankful fpirit to which man is always too prone. Some degree of importance muft be allowed to the comforts of health, to the innocent...
20. oldal - Nay, would not he believe we were forbidden poverty by threats of eternal punifhment, and enjoined to purfue our pleafures under pain of damnation ? He would certainly imagine that we were influenced by a fcheme of duties quite oppofite to thofe which are indeed prefcribed to us. And truly, according to fuch an imagination, he muft conclude that we are a fpecies of the moft obedient creatures in the univerfe ; that we are conftant to our duty, and that we keep a fteady eye on the end, for which we...
238. oldal - Tis worfe to whiftle on a Sunday, Than cheat their neighbours on a Monday ; To dine without firft faying grace, is Enough to lofe in heaven their places: But goodnefs, honefty and virtue, Are what they've not the leaft regard to. Others there are, and not a few, Who place it in the bugbear view ! Think it confifts in ftrange fcveritles.: Jn faftings, weepings, and aufterities.
179. oldal - Most willingly," returned the bishop. " In whatever state I am, I first of all look up to heaven, and remember that my principal business here is to get there : I then look down upon the earth, and call to mind how small a space I shall occupy in it when I come to be interred : I then look abroad into the world, and observe what multitudes there are who are in all respects more unhappy than myself.
159. oldal - ... Therefore the wise man, in these books of Proverbs and Ecclesiastes, agreeably to his design, insists on this part of wisdom. He tells us the advantage of seeking Christ early; Prov.