Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
acts ancient appears arose authority bishop body called carried cause CENT century Christ Christian church clergy composed concerning consequence considerable considered Constantinople controversy council countries death decrees dignity distinguished divine doctors doctrine dominion ecclesiastical effect election emperor empire employed entirely example famous favor formed former France given Gospel greatest Greeks Gregory hand Hence Hist Histoire holy honor ignorance images Italy John kings labors Latin laws learned least letters lived maintained manner matter means mentioned method monks multitude nature obliged observe occasion opinion origin particularly persons philosophy pious pope prelate princes principal provinces published reason received religion religious rendered respect Roman pontiff Rome rule sacred saints sciences sect seemed spirit success suffered superstition things tion true truth various VIII worship writers zeal
381. oldal - Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God : 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
355. oldal - AND I SAW AN ANGEL COME DOWN FROM HEAVEN, HAVING THE KEY OF THE BOTTOMLESS PIT AND A GREAT CHAIN IN HIS HAND. AND HE LAID HOLD ON THE DRAGON, THAT OLD SERPENT, WHICH IS THE DEVIL AND SATAN AND BOUND HIM A THOUSAND YEARS. AND CAST HIM INTO THE BOTTOMLESS PIT AND SHUT HIM UP AND SET A SEAL UPON HIM, THAT HE SHOULD DECEIVE THE NATIONS NO MORE, TILL THE THOUSAND YEARS SHOULD BE FULFILLED: AND AFTER THAT HE MUST BE LOOSED A LITTLE SEASON.
209. oldal - Homiliarium of Charlemagne ; and which being followed as a model by many productions of the same kind, composed by private persons, from a principle of pious zeal, contributed much (says Mosheim) to nourish the indolence 'and to perpetuate the ignorance of a worthless clergy.
270. oldal - The bodies of the saints were sought by fasting and prayer, instituted by the priest, in order to obtain a divine answer, and an infallible direction ; and this pretended direction never failed to accomplish their desires : the holy carcass was always found, and that always in consequence, as they impiously gave out, of the suggestion and inspiration of God himself. Each discovery of this kind was attended with excessive demonstrations of joy, and animated the zeal of these devout seekers to enrich...
211. oldal - ... in France, Germany, and Italy, both during this and the following century. But that these Hibernians were the first teachers of the scholastic theology in Europe, and so early as the eighth century illustrated the doctrines of religion by the principles of philosophy) I learned but lately...
419. oldal - His purpose was to engage, in the bonds of fidelity and allegiance to St. Peter, ie to the Roman pontiffs, all the kings and princes of the earth, and to establish at Rome an annual assembly of bishops, by whom the contests that might arise between kingdoms or sovereign states were to be decided, the rights and pretensions of princes to be examined, and the fate of nations and empires to be determined.
222. oldal - Saronium, torn. iii. p. 323. is of opinion, that this controversy had both its date and its occasion from the dispute concerning images : for, when the Latins treated the Greeks as heretics, on account of their opposition to image worship, the Greeks in their turn charged the Latins also with heresy, on account of their maintaining that the Holy Ghost proceeded from the Father and the Son.
338. oldal - ... perfumes. One Holy Thursday, as he was celebrating highmass, his groom brought him the joyful news that one of his favourite mares had foaled ; upon which he threw down the Liturgy, left the church, and ran in raptures to the stable, where, having expressed his joy at that grand event, he returned to the altar to finish the divine service, which he had left interrupted during his absence
355. oldal - And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, And cast him into the bottomless pit...
24. oldal - ... temples, and such like matters, and even transferring them into their religious services ; and as, instead of entirely abolishing the rites and institutions of ancient times, these institutions were still observed with only some slight alterations; all this swelled of necessity the torrent of superstition, and deformed the beauty of the Christian religion and worship with those corrupt remains of paganism, which still subsist in a certain Church. " It will not be improper to observe here...