Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
The History of Wisbech: With an Historical Sketch of the Fens (Classic Reprint)
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2018
acres act of parliament African slave trade afterwards almshouses amongst ancient annual appears appointed attended Bailiff beauty Bedford Bedford Level Corporation bishop of Ely bridge building built called Capital Burgesses Castle channel character charity charter church Clarkson consequence considerable Corporation Crowland death ditto drainage Edward elected Emneth England enquiry erected feelings Fens flood frequently funds gave gent gradually grammar school Guild Guyhirn Hall Henry Holy Trinity important improvement inhabitants inscription interest Isle of Ely John King kingdom land Leverington Lincolnshire Lynn marshes ment mind monument Nene opinion Ouse outfall parish passed period persons poor present principal proceedings purpose records reign religious rents repair Richard river river Nene Robert Romans Saxon scene Sluice society spirit supposed Thomas tion Town Bailiff town of Wisbech trustees Usill vicar waters Watson Whittlesea wild William
11. oldal - There is a Power whose care Teaches thy way along that pathless coast— The desert and illimitable air— Lone wandering, but not lost. All day thy wings have fanned, At that far height, the cold, thin atmosphere, Yet stoop not, weary, to the welcome land, Though the dark night is near.
42. oldal - THE groves were God's first temples. Ere man learned To hew the shaft, and lay the architrave. And spread the roof above them, — ere he framed The lofty vault, to gather and roll back The sound of anthems ; in the darkling wood, Amidst the cool and silence, he knelt down, And offered to the Mightiest solemn thanks And supplication.
20. oldal - Such is that room which one rude beam divides, And naked rafters form the sloping sides; Where the vile bands that bind the thatch are seen, And lath and mud are all that lie between; Save one dull pane, that, coarsely patched, gives way To the rude tempest, yet excludes the day: Here on a matted flock, with dust o'erspread.
68. oldal - To men of other minds my fancy flies, Embosom'd in the deep where Holland lies : Methinks her patient sons before me stand, Where the broad ocean leans against the land, And, sedulous to stop the coming tide, Lifts the tall rampire's artificial pride.
118. oldal - DAY set on Norham's castled steep. And Tweed's fair river, broad and deep. And Cheviot's mountains lone : The battled towers, the donjon keep, The loop-hole grates where captives weep. The flanking walls that round it sweep, In yellow lustre shone.
191. oldal - NO man shall teach either in public school, or private house, but such as shall be allowed by the Bishop of the diocese, or Ordinary of the place, under his hand and seal, being found meet as well for his learning and dexterity in teaching, as for sober and honest conversation, and also for right understanding of God's true religion...
12. oldal - Soon, o'er thy sheltered nest. Thou'rt gone, the abyss of heaven Hath swallowed up thy form; yet, on my heart Deeply hath sunk the lesson thou hast given, And shall not soon depart. He who, from zone to zone, Guides through the boundless sky thy certain flight, 30 In the long way that I must tread alone Will lead my steps aright.
11. oldal - midst falling dew, While glow the heavens with the last steps of day Far, through their rosy depths, dost thou pursue Thy solitary way ? Vainly the fowler's eye Might mark thy distant flight to do thee wrong, As, darkly painted on the crimson sky, Thy figure floats along. Seek'st thou the plashy brink Of weedy lake, or marge of river wide, Or where the rocking billows rise and sink On the chafed ocean side ? There is a Power whose care Teaches thy way along that pathless coast, — The desert and...
69. oldal - While the pent ocean, rising o'er the pile, Sees an amphibious world beneath him smile ; The slow canal, the yellow-blossom'd vale, The willow-tufted bank, the gliding sail, The crowded mart, the cultivated plain, A new creation rescued from his reign.