Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
abuse according actually affirmed answer appear Archbishop authority better Bishop body called cause century charge Christ Christian Church clergy College confession continued course death divine doctrine doubt earth ecclesiastical effect England English evil faith Family Friars further give God's Gospel grace hand hath heart heaven heresy heretic holy honour human interesting John king known labours language learning less Lewis Library living Lord maintained ment mind nature never object opinions original Oxford Papacy Papal Parliament period person poor Pope possessions preaching prelates prepared present priests principles probably question reason Reformer regarded religious remains render respecting Rome Romish sacramental says scarcely Scriptures secular seems soul speaks spirit sufficient testimony thing thou thought tion translation true truth University Vaughan volume whole Wiclif writings
194. oldal - A compilation from earlier historical works made, in the form in which we have it, at the end of the thirteenth or the beginning of the fourteenth century and known by the name of WALTER OF COVENTRY (W.
274. oldal - Thus this brook has conveyed his ashes into Avon, Avon into Severn, Severn into the narrow seas, they into the main ocean; and thus the ashes of Wickliffe are the emblem of his doctrine, which now is dispersed all the world over.
335. oldal - And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet. 15. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment, than for that city.
xxiii. oldal - That say, Let Him make speed, and hasten His work, that we may see it: and let the counsel of the Holy One of Israel draw nigh and come, that we may know it!
278. oldal - LORD, we pray thee, that thy grace may always prevent and follow us ; and make us continually to be given to all good works, through JESUS CHRIST our Lord.
391. oldal - VAN HALEN'S NARRATIVE of his Imprisonment in the Dungeons of the Inquisition, his Escape, his Journey to Madrid, &c. &c. 8vo.
191. oldal - ... recommended it to the perusal of their hearers. In their hands it became an engine of wonderful power. Men were flattered by the appeal to their private judgment ; the new doctrines insensibly acquired partisans and protectors in the higher classes, who alone were acquainted with the use of letters ; a spirit of inquiry was generated, and the seeds were sown of that religious revolution, which in little more than a century astonished and convulsed the nations of Europe.
199. oldal - But this Master John Wycliffe translated it out of Latin into English, and by that means laid it more open to the laity, and to women who could read, than it used to be to the most learned of the clergy, and those of them who had the best understanding.