Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
afforded alkali alumina Annals of Philosophy appeared arsenic became bequest bill Bleyberg blow-pipe blue bodies boiled borax calamine calcareous calx of zinc carbonate of lime carbonate of soda carbonic acid charcoal chemical chemistry clay colour containing copper crystals diffusion dissolved distilled water Duke of Northumberland earth effervescence experiments flame fluid fluorine fund fused glass grains heat Hugh Smithson hydrate James Smithson jelly Kirkdale Cave knowledge liquor London marine acid mass matter melted Mémoire metallic mineral mixture muriatic acid nature nitrate nitric acid opaque oxide oxygen paper Paris particles Percy Philosophical Transactions platina potash powder precipitate present produced quartz red hot Royal Society salt scientific siliceous silver Sir Hugh Smithson small quantity Smithsonian Institution solution species substance sulphate sulphuret of lead sulphuric acid Tabasheer Thomson's Annals tion transparent turnsol ulmin United vegetable vitriol of zinc vitriolic acid weight yellow zeolite
30. oldal - Smithson should be invested, when received, by the Secretary of the Treasury, with the approbation of the President of the United States...
57. oldal - I shall acquire ampler iinforination at more voluminous sources — to a conviction that it is in his knowledge that man has found his greatness and his happiness, the high superiority which he holds over the other animals which inhabit the earth with him, and consequently that no ignorance is probably without loss to him, no error without evil...
17. oldal - British empire, a public institution for diffusing the knowledge and facilitating the general introduction of useful mechanical inventions and improvements, and for teaching, by courses of philosophical lectures and experiments, the application of science to the common purposes of life.
112. oldal - Like the baseless fabric of a vision, Left not a wreck behind.
17. oldal - A glance at the names of a few of the great organizations instituted in different parts of the world at the close of the last and beginning of the present century will...
22. oldal - In case of the death of my said nephew without leaving a child or children, or of the death of the child or children he may have had, under the age of twenty-one years, or intestate, I then bequeath the whole of my property (subject to the annuity of...
58. oldal - Paris, 1819. Bibliotheca Parisiana. A catalogue of a collection of books formed by a gentleman in France.
20. oldal - Society was to improve the knowledge of natural things, and all useful arts, manufactures, mechanick practises, engynes and inventions by experiments — (not meddling with divinity, metaphysics, moralls, politicks, grammar, rhetorick, or logick.)
22. oldal - In this committee great opposi tion was manifested at first to the acceptance of the bequest, but this yielded to the arguments and persuasion of the distinguished chairman, Mr. John Q. Adams. A bill was accordingly reported, directing the President to appoint an agent to assert and prosecute for and in behalf of the United States in the court of chancery, England, the legacy bequeathed by James Smithson.