The penny cyclopædia [ed. by G. Long].
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
Gyakori szavak és kifejezések
acid action animal appeared appointed became become belonging body born British called carried cells character church coast common complete connected considerable consists contains continued course Court covered died direction district effect electrical England entered entire established exhibited extended feet flower four French frequently fruit genus give given important increase inhabitants interest island Italy kind known lake land leaves length less London March matter means miles native natural nearly observed obtained occurs organs original passed persons Placentas plants population portion present principal produced published received remained remarkable result river round separate short side Society species substance success surface taken tion town United various vegetable whole
12. oldal - LIVINGSTONE'S SOUTH AFRICA. Missionary Travels and Researches in South Africa ; including a Sketch of Sixteen Years' Residence in the Interior of Africa, and a Journey from the Cape of Good Hope to Loando on the West Coast ; thence across the Continent, down the River Zambesi, to, the Eastern Ocean.
11. oldal - I did not comprehend it until, creeping with awe to the verge, I peered down into a large rent which had been made from bank to bank of the broad Zambesi...
226. oldal - ... to give evidence on behalf of either or any of the parties to the suit in any court of justice.
38. oldal - Cabinet as President of the Board of Trade and Master of the Mint. The appointment was a popular one, especially in the City and with the House of Commons, where Mr.
222. oldal - ... and when completed shall be read over to the witness and signed by him in the presence of the parties, or such of them as may think fit to attend.
266. oldal - Fungus, that the effects are often very ludicrous. If a person under its influence wishes to step over a straw or small stick, he takes a stride or a jump sufficient to clear the trunk of a tree ; a talkative person cannot keep silence or secrets ; and one fond of music is perpetually singing.
144. oldal - Fasti Romani. The Civil and Literary Chronology of Rome and Constantinople, from the Death of Augustus to the Death of Heraclius.
185. oldal - Zealand as one end of the mighty wave of the unstable and ever-shifting crust of the earth, of which the opposite end, after having been long submerged, has again risen with its accumulated deposits in North America...
11. oldal - From this cloud rushed up a great jet of vapour exactly like steam, and it mounted 200 or 300 feet high ; there condensing, it changed its hue to that of dark smoke, and came back in a constant shower, which soon wetted us to the skin.
153. oldal - Notice of a discovery of a new fossil animal, forming a link between the Ichthyosaurus and the Crocodile; together with general remarks on the osteology of the Ichthyosaurus', Transactions of the Geological Society of London, ist series, vol.