Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
action alcohol alkali aloes ammonia analysis animals appears arteries atmosphere barytes blood bodies boles carbonic acid cause chemical chemistry clouds colour column combination common compound contained copper corculum cotyledons crystals decomposed decomposition dissolved distance Ditto Ditto earths effect electric fluid electroscope errour evaporated experiments feet gasses glass glucine grains heat height hidrogen hidrogen gas hygrometer inches increase inflammable Klaproth light lime luminous magnesia matter medusa metals meteor mica motion muriatic acid gas nature nearly nitric acid nitrogen observed obtained oxide oxide of iron oxigen oximuriatic acid oximuriatic acid gas oximuriatic gas paper particles phenomena phosphorus plants plates potash potassium precipitate produced proportion quantity Rain resin rocket scammony seed silex soda soluble solution species specific gravity substance sulphuric acid supposed surface Table theory tion trees tube vapour velocity vessels wire
82. oldal - I shall therefore only add upon this subject that if by the term elements we mean to express those simple and indivisible atoms of which matter is composed, it is extremely probable we know nothing at all about them ; but, if we apply the term elements, or principles of bodies...
282. oldal - Now it is one great object of this work to show the importance and advantage of ascertaining the relative weights of the ultimate particles, both of simple and compound bodies, the number of simple elementary particles which constitute one compound particle, and the number of less compound particles which enter into the formation of one more compound particle.
209. oldal - About 30 or 40 seconds after this, three loud and distinct reports, like those of a four-pounder, near at hand, were heard. They succeeded each other with as much rapidity as was consistent with distinctness, and, all together, did not occupy three seconds.
208. oldal - ... witnessing the whole phenomenon. From him the account of the appearance,, progress; and explosion of the meteor, is principally derived. The morning was somewhat cloudy. The clouds were dispersed in unequal masses, being in some places thick and opaque, and in others fleecy and partially transparent. Numerous spots of unclouded sky were visible, and along the northern part of the horizon a space of ten or fifteen degrees was perfectly clear. The attention of Judge Wheeler was «first drawn by...
209. oldal - ... in length about 10 or 12 diameters of the body. In the clear sky a brisk scintillation was observed about the body of the meteor, like that of a burning firebrand carried against the wind. It disappeared about 15 degrees short of the zenith, and about the same number of degrees west of the meridian. It did not vanish instantaneously, but grew, pretty rapidly, fainter and fainter, as a...
283. oldal - When only one combination of two bodies can be obtained, it must be presumed to be a binary one, unless some cause appear to the contrary.
323. oldal - Libuvius : it was absorbed with great heat, and no gas was generated ; a solid result was obtained, which was of a dull white colour. Some of it was heated, to ascertain if it contained oxide of tin ; but the whole volatilized, producing dense pungent fumes. Another experiment of the same kind, made with great care, and in which the ammonia was used in great excess, proved that the liquor of Libavius cannot be decompounded by ammonia ; but that it forms a new combination with this substance.
346. oldal - Malabar, during the rainy monsoon, which he had an opportunity of observing. At midnight the weather was cloudy, and the sea was particularly dark, when suddenly it changed to a white flaming colour all around. This bore no resemblance to the sparkling or glowing appearance he had observed on other occasions in seas near the equator, but was a regular white colour like milk, and did not continue more than ten minutes. A similar phenomenon, he says is frequently seen in the Banda sea, and is very...
350. oldal - I shall not trespass on the time of the Society, to refute the above speculations ; their authors have left them unsupported by either arguments or experiments, and they are inconsistent with all ascertained facts upon this subject. The remarkable property of emitting light during life, is only met with amongst animals of the four last classes of modern naturalists, viz. MOLLUSCA, INSECTS, WORMS, and ZOOPHYTES.
46. oldal - Spallanzani relates, that the medusa which he examined communicated the property of shining to water, milk, and other fluids, on being rubbed or squeezed in them. The luminous fluid is in some instances confined to particular parts of the body, and in others is diffused throughout the whole substance of the animal. In the scolopendra electrica, it appears to reside immediately under the integuments.