On the Cause, Date, and Duration of the Last Glacial Epoch of Geology, and the Probable Antiquity of Man: With an Investigation and Description of a New Movement of the Earth
Chapman & Hall, 1873 - 288 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
altitude America amount angular distance annual arctic circle astronomical boulder period calculation cause centre of polar century circle described circle round climatic changes cloth cold consequently course traced Crown 8vo curve decrease Demy 8vo deposits drift earth earth's axis ecliptic Edition effects eocene equinoxes Europe evidence examine explain facts Fcap feet Flamstead geological geologists geometrical give glacial epoch glacial period glaciers heat heavens Hevelius hitherto icebergs Illustrations investigation known land longitude Martin Chuzzlewit meridian miocene moraines mountains moved northern hemisphere obliquity obtain occur plane pliocene polar motion polar movement position Post 8vo precession present problem produce proper motion Ptolemy regions relative revolution right ascension rocks rotation round the pole sewed sheet snow stars summer sun's supposed surface tertiary theory tion traced a circle tropics valleys variation varies its distance vols whilst winter
16. oldal - The Ocean, Atmosphere, and Life. Being the Second Series of a Descriptive History of the Life of the Globe.
17. oldal - ... altered and amended from beginning to end, with a large body of critical Notes . almost entirely new, and a Glossary, in which the language of the poet, his allusions to customs, &c., are fully explained. " THE BEST TEXT OF SHAKESPEARE WHICH HAS YET APPEARED. Mr. Dyce's edition is a great work, worthy of his reputation, and for the present it contains the standard text."— TIMES.
14. oldal - MEREDITH (GEORGE)— MODERN LOVE AND POEMS OF THE ENGLISH ROADSIDE, WITH POEMS AND BALLADS.
19. oldal - THE CHARACTERISTICS OF STYLES: An Introduction to the Study of the History of Ornamental Art. Royal 8vo, 8s.
22. oldal - ANALYSIS OF ORNAMENT: THE CHARACTERISTICS OF STYLES. An Introduction to the Study of the History of Ornamental Art. With many Illustrations. Sixth Edition.
17. oldal - ROCK (THE VERY REV. CANON), DD— ON TEXTILE FABRICS. A Descriptive and Illustrated Catalogue of the Collection of Church Vestments, Dresses, Silk Stuffs, Needlework, and Tapestries in the South Kensington Museum.
10. oldal - FLEMING (GEORGE). FRCS— ANIMAL PLAGUES: THEIR HISTORY, NATURE, AND PREVENTION. 8vo, cloth, 15s. HORSES AND HORSE-SHOEING : their Origin, History, Uses, and Abuses. 210 Engravings. 8vo, cloth, £1 1s.
65. oldal - We have, therefore, in this agreement a strong evidence in favor of the view that both the phenomena of local mountain erratics in Europe and of northern erratics in Europe and America have probably been produced by the same cause. The chief difficulty is in conceiving the possibility of the formation of a sheet of ice sufficiently large to carry the northern erratics into their present limits of distribution ; but this difficulty is greatly removed when we can trace, as in the Alps, the progress...
7. oldal - THE OLD CURIOSITY SHOP. With Seventy-five Illustrations by George Cattermole and HK Browne. A New Edition. Uniform with the other volumes, £i is.