Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
angel arms bear beauty beneath blessed blood breath brow calm cloud cold comes dark dead death deep dream earth evil face fair faith fall fathers fear feel feet fell fire flow flowers Freedom give glance gone grave green hand hath head hear heard heart Heaven hills holy hope hour human Indian land leaves light lips living look Lord mountain never night o'er once pain pale passed poor prayer priest Quaker rest rise rock round seen shade shadow shame shrine side slave smile song soul sound Speak spirit stand stood strong tears tell thee thine thou thought tree truth turn unto voice wall warm waters wave weak weary wild wind wood wrong young
93. oldal - A weight seemed lifted from my heart, — a pitying friend was nigh, I felt it in his hard rough hand, and saw it in his eye; And, when again the sheriff spoke, that voice, so kind to me, Growled back its stormy answer like the roaring of the sea: " Pile my ship with bars of silver — pack with coins of Spanish gold, From keel-piece up to deck-plank, the roomage of her hold,— By the living God who made me ! I would sooner in your bay Sink ship and crew and cargo than bear this child away!
151. oldal - Just God! and these are they, Who minister at thine altar, God of right! Men who their hands, with prayer and blessing, lay On Israel's ark of light. What! preach, and kidnap men? Give thanks, and rob thy own afflicted poor? Talk of thy glorious liberty, and then Bolt hard the captive's door? What! servants of thy own Merciful Son, who came to seek and save The homeless and the outcast, fettering down The tasked and plundered slave! Pilate and Herod friends! Chief priests and rulers, as of old, combine!...
5. oldal - I LOVE the old melodious lays Which softly melt the ages through, The songs of Spenser's golden days, Arcadian Sidney's silvery phrase, Sprinkling our noon of time with freshest morning dew.
314. oldal - Father ! is this evil world of ours; Upward, through its blood and ashes, spring afresh the Eden flowers ; From its smoking hell of battle, Love and Pity send their prayer, And still thy white-winged angels hover dimly in our air ! FORGIVENESS.
329. oldal - Oh, brother man ! fold to thy heart thy brother ; Where pity dwells, the peace of God is there ; To worship rightly is to love each other, Each smile a hymn, each kindly deed a prayer. Follow with reverent steps the great example Of Him whose holy work was " doing good ; " So shall the wide earth seem our Father's temple, Each loving life a psalm of gratitude.
336. oldal - O, — fruit loved of boyhood ! — the old days recalling, When wood-grapes were purpling and brown nuts were falling ! When wild, ugly faces we carved in its skin, Glaring out through the dark with a candle within ! When we laughed round the corn-heap, with hearts all in tune, Our chair a broad pumpkin, — our lantern the moon, Telling tales of the fairy who travelled like steam, In a pumpkin-shell coach, with two rats for her team ! 126 HAMPTON BEACH.
142. oldal - Up now for Freedom ! — not in strife Like that your sterner fathers saw, — The awful waste of human life, — The glory and the guilt of war: But break the chain, — the yoke remove, And smite to earth Oppression's rod, With those mild arms of Truth and Love, Made mighty through the living God...
134. oldal - Thou hast left behind Powers that will work for thee; air, earth, and skies; There's not a breathing of the common wind That will forget thee; thou hast great allies; Thy friends are exultations, agonies, And love, and man's unconquerable mind.