Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
abilities able admired affectation amusement ancient appear attention beauty become believe boys called cause certainly character Christianity church common consequence considered contempt danger delight desire display divine elegance eloquence enter evil example excellence expression eyes fashion feel genius give grace greatly happiness heart honor human idea improvement instruction interest judge judgment kind knowledge labor language Latin learning less letters living manner mean mind moral nature necessary never object observe opinion parents passion perhaps persons philosophers Plautus pleasure poetry poets polite poor possess practice present pride produce profession reason religion render respect says seems sense sentiments society speaking spirit style sufficient supposed sure taste thing thought tion true truth universal usually vanity virtue wisdom wish write young
128. oldal - Thou shalt not make to thyself any graven image, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, or in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down to them, nor worship them : for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, and visit the sins of the fathers upon the children, unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me, and shew mercy unto thousands in them that love me, and keep my commandments.
209. oldal - And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD ; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.
208. oldal - And when the king of Moab saw that the battle was too sore for him, he took with him seven hundred men that drew swords, to break through even unto the king of Edom : but they could not. Then he took his eldest son that should have reigned in his stead, and offered him for a burnt offering upon the wall. And there was great indignation against Israel : and they departed from him, and returned to their own land.
28. oldal - They will either teach you so to regulate your conduct as to be able to set the most malicious inquiries at defiance ; or, if that be a lost hope, they will teach you prudence enough not to attract the public attention to a character which will only pass without censure when it passes without observation.
131. oldal - All the Books of the Bible are either already most admirable, and exalted pieces of Poesie, or are the best Materials in the world for it. Yet, though they be in themselves so proper to be made use of for this purpose ; None but a good Artist will know how to do it : neither must we think to cut and polish Diamonds with so little pains and skill as we do Marble. For if any man design to compose a Sacred Poem, by only turning a story of the Scripture, like Mr. Quarles's, or some other godly matter,...
84. oldal - Gramineae" — the last of the natural orders elaborated for the "Genera Plantarum": — " Much has been done, however, for the elucidation of the order in local Floras. Already at the close of the last century and the commencement of the present...
273. oldal - For pride is the beginning of sin, and he that hath it shall pour out abomination: and therefore the Lord brought upon them strange calamities, and overthrew them utterly.
128. oldal - A man that useth much swearing shall be filled with iniquity, And the plague shall never depart from his house...