Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
Gyakori szavak és kifejezések
action Affirmed agent alleged allowed amount answer appeal assignment authority bank bill bond brings brought cause charge circuit claim Code Company considered constitution contract counsel creditors damages death debt deed defendant delivered entitled erred error evidence exceptions execution fact fendant filed further Georgia give given granted ground held holding intended interest issue John Judge judgment jury land lien limits matter ment mortgage motion necessary notice objection paid parties payment person petition plain plaintiff pleas possession present proper purchase question railroad reason receiver record recover reference refused rendered rent reversed rule secure signed sold statute suit superior court Supreme Court sustained taken term testimony tion trial trust verdict wife witness
171. oldal - That place shall be considered and held to be the residence of a person in which his habitation is fixed, and to which, whenever he is absent, he has the intention of returning.
231. oldal - That all fermented, distilled, or other intoxicating liquors or liquids transported into any State or Territory or remaining therein for use, consumption, sale, or storage therein shall, upon arrival in such State or Territory, be subject to the operation and effect of the laws of such State or Territory enacted in the exercise of its police powers ' to the same extent and in the same manner as though such liquids or liquors had been produced in such State or Territory, and shall not be exempt therefrom...
236. oldal - It is admitted that there is no express provision in the Constitution that prohibits the general government from taxing the means and instrumentalities of the States, nor is there any prohibiting the States from taxing the means and instrumentalities of that government. In both cases the exemption rests upon necessary implication, and is upheld by the great law of self-preservation: as any government, whose means employed in conducting its operations, if subject, to the control of another and distinct...
226. oldal - The judiciary can only arrest the execution of a statute when it conflicts with the constitution. It cannot run a race of opinions upon points of right, reason, and expediency with the lawmaking power.
229. oldal - SEC. 3. All persons are born equally free, and have certain natural, essential and inalienable rights, among which may be reckoned the right of enjoying and defending their lives and liberties, of acquiring, possessing and protecting property, and of seeking and obtaining their safety and happiness in all lawful ways.
237. oldal - It does not at all follow that every statute enacted ostensibly for the promotion of these ends is to be accepted as a legitimate exertion of the police powers of the State.
144. oldal - ... to any general and unsecured claims. It has been assumed that a court appointing a receiver could rightfully burden the mortgaged property for the payment of any unsecured indebtedness. Indeed we are advised that some courts have made the appointment of a receiver conditional upon the payment of all unsecured indebtedness in preference to the mortgage liens sought to be enforced. Can anything be conceived which more thoroughly destroys the sacredness of contract obligations?
404. oldal - In case of publication, where the residence of a non-resident or absent defendant is known, the Court or Judge must direct a copy of the summons and complaint to be forthwith deposited in the Post Office, directed to the person to be served, at his place of residence.
231. oldal - Amendment, broad and comprehensive as it is, nor any other amendment was designed to interfere with the power of the State, sometimes termed its ' police power,' to prescribe regulations to promote the health, peace, morals, education and good order of the people, and to legislate so as to increase the industries of the State, develop its resources and add to its wealth and prosperity.
191. oldal - It is alleged in the complaint, and admitted in the answer, " that the above-named plaintiff, in or about the month of February, 1898.