Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
able Africa American Colonization Society Annual attention Board called carried cause cent century chief Christian Church civilization claims Coast coffee colored Committee condition continent death desire duty efforts emigrants England English enterprise equal established explorer fact feel fifty foreign friends give Government hand heart hope human hundred important increase influence institutions intelligent interest interior January John labor land late Liberia living March means meeting miles mind Mission missionary native nature negro never object persons planted population present President Providence race received regard Republic respect river schools Secretary sent slaves South success teacher thousand tion trade tribes United West whole York
189. oldal - Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens.
95. oldal - I beg to direct your attention to Africa : I know that in a few years I shall be cut off in that country, which is now open ; do not let it be shut again ! I go back to Africa to try to make an open path for commerce and Christianity ; do you carry out the work which I have begun. I LEAVE IT WITH YOU !" In a prefatory letter prefixed to the volume entitled Dr.
95. oldal - As I have elsewhere remarked, I view the end of the geographical feat as the beginning of the missionary enterprise. I take the latter term in its most extended signification, and include every effort made for the amelioration of our race ; the promotion of all those means by which God in His providence is working, and bringing all His dealings with man to a glorious consummation.
177. oldal - But small the bliss that sense alone bestows, And sensual bliss is all the nation knows. In florid beauty groves and fields appear, Man seems the only growth that dwindles here.
97. oldal - See, I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant.
219. oldal - Yet I doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, And the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.
203. oldal - Liberia, and shall consist of two separate branches. A House of Representatives and a Senate, to be styled the Legislature of Liberia; each of which shall have a negative on the other, and the enacting style of their acts and laws, shall be, "It is enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Liberia in Legislature assembled.
69. oldal - The great one in question is truly of a national character, and it is known that distinguished patriots not dwelling in slave-holding States have viewed the object in that light, and would be willing to let the national domain be a resource in effecting it.
353. oldal - Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses...
242. oldal - ON BEING BROUGHT FROM AFRICA TO AMERICA Twas mercy brought me from my Pagan land, Taught my benighted soul to understand That there's a God, that there's a Saviour too: Once I redemption neither sought nor knew. Some view our sable race with scornful eye, "Their colour is a diabolic die.