Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
Addison afterwards appeared attention believe called character collected common considered contains continued copy criticism death delight desire died discovered Dryden early Edited elegance English Essay excellence expected expression father formed friendship gave give given hand History honour hope hundred Illustrations Ireland Italy John Johnson kind King known Lady language late learning less Letters lines lived Lord mean mentioned mind nature never Night notes observed once opinion original perhaps pieces pleased pleasure poem poet poetical poetry Pope Pope's praise present printed produced publick published reader reason received remarks revised satire says seems sent shew sometimes soon sufficient supposed Swift tell thing thought tion told took Trans Translated true verses volume wish write written wrote Young
22. oldal - SMYTH'S (Professor) Lectures on Modern History; from the Irruption of the Northern Nations to the close of the American Revolution.
171. oldal - The style of Dryden is capricious and varied ; that of Pope is cautious and uniform. Dryden obeys the motions of his own mind ; Pope constrains his mind to his own rules of composition. Dryden is sometimes vehement and rapid ; Pope is always smooth, uniform, and gentle.
18. oldal - PASCAL'S Thoughts. Translated from the Text of M. Auguste Molinier by C. Kegan Paul. 3rd Edition, y, dd. PAULI'S (Dr. R.) Life of Alfred the Great. Translated from the German. To which is appended Alfred's ANGLO-SAXON VERSION OF OROSIUS. With a literal Translation interpaged, Notes, and an ANGLO-SAXON GRAMMAR and GLOSSARY, by B. Thorpe. 5^. PAUSANIAS
209. oldal - This modest stone, what few vain marbles can, May truly say, Here lies an honest man: A poet, blest beyond the poet's fate, Whom Heaven kept sacred from the Proud and Great: Foe to loud praise, and friend to learned ease, Content with science in the vale of peace.
23. oldal - STRABO'S Geography. Translated by W. Falconer, MA, and HC Hamilton. 3 vols. 5^. each. STRICKLAND'S (Agnes) Lives of the Queens of England, from the Norman Conquest. Revised Edition. With 6 Portraits. 6 vols. 5*. each. Life of Mary Queen of Soots. 2 vols. 5*. each. Lives of the Tudor and Stuart Princesses. With Portraits. 5*.
20. oldal - Craven.' With 62 Engravings on Wood after Harvey, and 9 Engravings on Steel, chiefly after A. Cooper, RA 5*.
182. oldal - The freaks, and humours, and spleen, and vanity, of women, as they embroil families in discord, and fill houses with disquiet, do more to obstruct the happiness of life in a year, than the ambition of the clergy in many centuries.
5. oldal - CASTLE (E.) Schools and Masters of Fence, from the Middle Ages to the End of the Eighteenth Century. By Egerton Castle, MA, FSA With a Complete Bibliography. Illustrated with 140 Reproductions of Old Engravings and 6 Plates of Swords, showing 114 Examples. 6s.
172. oldal - Of genius, that power which constitutes a poet; that quality without which judgment is cold, and knowledge is inert; that energy which collects, combines, amplifies, and animates; the superiority must, with some hesitation, be allowed to Dryden.