Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
already apostles Archbishop authority become believe Bible bishops Board called cause century Christ Christian citizens civil claims common congress constitution continued corruption council danger dark death desire direct doctrine duty ecclesiastical errors established evil exclusion exercise exist fact faith favor freedom give given hands head Holy indulgences infallible influence institutions instruction interests Italy land liberty light live Luther maintain matter means ment mind moral opinions pagan papacy papal past persons Peter political pontiff pope position practice present priests principles Protestant reason Reformation regard religion religious respect result Roman Catholic Romanists Rome Romish church rule says schools Scriptures souls spirit succession taught teach temporal things tion true true church truth United whole worship
255. oldal - The loveliest and most fertile provinces of Europe have, under her rule, been sunk in poverty, in political servitude, and in intellectual torpor, while Protestant countries, once proverbial for sterility and barbarism, have been turned by skill and industry into gardens, and can boast of a long list of heroes and statesmen, philosophers and poets.
255. oldal - Edinburgh, will be able to form some judgment as to the tendency of Papal domination. The descent of Spain, once the first among monarchies, to the lowest depths of degradation, the elevation of Holland, in spite of many natural disadvantages, to a position such as no commonwealth so small has ever reached, teach the same lesson.
xv. oldal - Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evil doers, and for the praise of them that do well.
viii. oldal - Son of man, speak to the children of thy people, and say unto them, "When I bring the sword upon a land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman...
233. oldal - Our Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on thee, NN, and absolve thee by the merits of his most holy sufferings. And I, in virtue of the apostolic power committed to me, absolve thee from all ecclesiastical censures, judgments, and penalties that thou mayest have merited ; and, further, from all excesses, sins, and crimes that thou mayest have committed, however great and enormous they may be, of whatever kind, even though they should be reserved to our holy father the Pope, and the apostolic see.
256. oldal - ... Protestants of the United States have left far behind them the Roman Catholics of Mexico, Peru, and Brazil. The Roman Catholics of Lower Canada remain inert, while the whole continent round them is in a ferment with Protestant activity and enterprise. The French have doubtless shown an. energy and an intelligence which, even when misdirected, have justly entitled them to be called a great people. But this apparent exception, when examined, will be found to confirm the rule; for in no country...
58. oldal - Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. 29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
255. oldal - Holland, in spite of many natural disadvantages, to a position such as no commonwealth so small has ever reached, teach the same lesson. " Whoever passes in Germany from a Roman Catholic to a Protestant principality, in Switzerland from a Roman Catholic to a Protestant canton, in Ireland from a Roman Catholic to a Protestant county, finds that he has passed from a lower to a higher grade of civilisation.
171. oldal - In the present day, it is no longer expedient that the Catholic religion shall be held as the only religion of the State, to the exclusion of all other modes of worship.