The Encyclopedia Americana: A General Dictionary of the Arts and Sciences, Literature, History, Biography, Geography, Etc., of the World; Editor-in-chief, Frederick Converse Beach ... Managing Editor, Forrest Morgan ... Assistant Editors, Nathan Haskell Dole ... Edward Thomas Roe ... Thomas Campbell Copeland ...
Frederick Converse Beach, Forrest Morgan, George Edwin Rines, Nathan Haskell Dole, E. T. Roe, Thomas Campbell Copeland
Americana Company, 1904
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
Gyakori szavak és kifejezések
19th century American ammonia ancient appointed army became bishop body called cars cent centre century chief Christian Church Church of England Civil College color companies Consult Crocodilia death doctrine early east Egypt elected engineer England English eral especially established existing feet France freight French Germany grade hospital ical important inches Indian island Italy king known land later lines manufacturing ment method miles North operation organized painting Paris passenger pounds principal produced professor Protestant Protestantism province Prussia psalms psychology Ptolemy Punjab Quebec quinine radium rail railroad railway rates rays Reformation religion religious result River road Roman Catholic Roman Catholic Church Rome Saint Saint Petersburg sect signal South square miles station steam tion town track traffic train United University usually York
5. oldal - We denounce Republican protection as a fraud ; a robbery of the great majority of the American people for the benefit of the few. We declare it to be a fundamental principle of the Democratic party that the Federal Government has no constitutional power to impose and collect tariff duties, except for the purpose of revenue only, and we demand that the collection of such taxes shall be limited to the necessities of the Government when honestly and economically administered.
3. oldal - That the Constitution confers upon Congress sovereign power over the Territories of the United States for their government, and that in the exercise of this power it is both the right and the imperative duty of Congress to prohibit in the Territories those twin relics of barbarism, polygamy and slavery.
1. oldal - I am not worth purchasing; but such as I am, the king of Great Britain is not rich enough to do it.
10. oldal - In which it will also appear, that this Church is far from intending to depart from the Church of England in any essential point of doctrine, discipline, or worship ; or further than local circumstances require.
13. oldal - Son was this day presented in the temple in substance of our flesh, so we may be presented unto thee with pure and clean hearts, by the same thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
11. oldal - In short, upon a careful attention to this subject we shall find, that wherever the preceding estate is limited, so as to determine on an event which must certainly happen ; and the remainder is so limited to a person in esse, and ascertained, that the preceding estate may, by any means, determine before the expiration of the estate limited in remainder, such remainder is vested.
6. oldal - England, the fundamental principle of which is that the king was the original proprietor of all the land in his kingdom, and no one came into any part of it except by gift from him, or in return for feudal services, and thus the land was divided among a graded body of owners beginning with the king's noblemen. In the United States all the instances of feudal tenure have been abolished. In Canada the tenure by which land is held varies in the different provinces, some being largely regulated by a...