Oriental Customs: Or, an Illustration of the Sacred Scriptures, by an Explanatory Application of the Customs and Manners of the Eastern Nations, and Expecially the Jews, Therien Alluded To, Together with Observations on Many Difficult and Obscure Texts, Collected from the Most Celebrated Travellers, and the Most Eminent Critics, 1. kötet
William W. Woodward, 1804 - 431 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
according alluded allusion ancient appears Arabs attended body brought called carried cause ceremony Chardin Christ circumstance cloth common considered court covered custom dead death described earth East eastern Egypt expression eyes feast feet figure fire four frequently gate give given Greeks ground hand HARMER head honour horse instance Jews kind king light living Lord manner mark means mentioned method natural observed occasion offered original particular pass passage Persian person pieces practice present prince probably prophet reason received refers relates remarkable rendered Romans sacred says scriptures seal seems sent side signifies sometimes sort speaking stone supposed taken tells temple thing thou tion Travels trees unto usual walls whole wine women writing
326. oldal - I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth.
295. oldal - I like not to take her; then shall his brother's wife come unto him in the presence of the elders, and loose his shoe from off his foot, and spit in his face, and shall answer and say, So shall it be done unto that man that will not build up his brother's house. And his name shall be called in Israel, The house of him that hath his shoe loosed.
313. oldal - And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on his head.
405. oldal - For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
414. oldal - And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads ; and that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
157. oldal - There is an evil which I have seen under the sun, as an error which proceedeth from the ruler : 6 Folly is set in great dignity, and the rich sit in low place. 7 I have seen servants upon horses, and princes walking as servants upon the earth.
177. oldal - For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds: I will be like the most High.
393. oldal - Lord must not strive ; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, in meekness instructing those that oppose themselves, if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth, and that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.