Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
appear appointed army arrived assistant authority Bengal boat Bombay brevet British capt captain lieutenant cavalry Charles chief Close colonel command conduct considerable continued council court date of rank daughter deceased directed ditto engagements English Ensign establishment excellency excellency's express force gentlemen George governor Grant Henry Highness honour India infantry inhabitants interests island James January John July lady late letter lieut Lord Lordship Madras majesty's major March measures ment military Miss Native noble object observed occasion officer party passed Peishwa Persian person pleased Poona present principal promoted proposed received regiment regt removed Resident respect Richard Robert rupees sail Scindia secretary sent sentiments Sept September servants settlement ship Signed success surgeon tain Thomas tion troops vice Wellesley
15. oldal - Bacchus' blessings are a treasure, Drinking is the soldier's pleasure: Rich the treasure, Sweet the pleasure, Sweet is pleasure after pain. Soothed with the sound, the king grew vain; Fought all his battles o'er again, And thrice he routed all his foes, and thrice he slew the slain!
15. oldal - I might in due time have attained all that my very limited ambition could aspire to ; but in no other station than that which I owe to your friendship, could I have gratified at once my boundless curiosity concerning the people of the East, continued the exercise of my profession, in which I sincerely delight, and enjoyed at the same time the comforts of domestic life.
16. oldal - The particular prizes adjudged to each will be found in the annexed reports. After the prizes and honorary rewards had been distributed, his excellency the visitor was pleased to deliver the following speech : Gentlemen of the College of Fort William, From the foundation of this college to the present time, the state of political affairs has not permitted me to discharge the grateful duty of presiding at your public exercises; my attention, however, has not been withdrawn from the progress, interests,...
61. oldal - I have the honour to be, with the highest respect, my lord, your lordship's most faithful and obedient servant, WELLESLEY.
14. oldal - ... could not at this time refrain from pitying so noble an animal. The horsemen seeing him weak and slow, dismounted, and with their swords began a furious attack on the tendons of his hind legs ; they were soon cut ; unable to proceed, he staggered, and then fell without a groan.
59. oldal - ... surgeons. The furlough to be granted by the Commander-in-Chief at each Presidency, with the approbation of the respective governments. " Officers who have not served ten years in India, but whose presence in England is required by urgent private affairs, may be allowed...
11. oldal - I had resolved to establish an independency, I employed workmen and artificers of all kinds, and I now judged that nothing but force of arms could maintain me in my authority. I therefore increased their numbers, cast my own artillery, commenced making muskets, matchlocks, and powder— and, in short, made the best preparations for carrying on an offensive and defensive war, till, at length, having...
104. oldal - I am directed by His Excellency the Most Noble the Governor General...
11. oldal - I wished to put myself in a capacity, when a favourable opportunity should offer, of attempting the conquest of the Punjaub, and aspired to the honour of planting the British standard on the banks of the Attock ! " One other act of Thomas's must be mentioned.
56. oldal - HAVE the honor to inform your lordship, that in consequence of the hour fixed upon by his Majesty, I yesterday, attended by the chief officers of the army, waited on his Majesty at his palace in the fort. Akber Shah, His Majesty's eldest son, came to my camp to conduct me. His Majesty received me seated on his throne, when the presents were delivered, and the forms usual on those occasions were observed.