Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
The World Here and There: Or, Notes of Travellers - Primary Source Edition
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2013
animals appeared become boats called carried chief Chinese close Cloth coast containing course covered crowd direction elephants entered European eyes feet fire five followed four give Government half hand head horses hundred Indians island Japan Japanese kind ladies land leave less light living London looked means miles morning mountains native never night observed offered once oysters Panama party passed piece present reached remained residence returned river round sail scene seemed seen shilling ship shore short side soon stand Staniza stones Strait streets temple thing thought thousand told took town travellers trees turn vessel village walked walls whole wild young
8. oldal - ... placed within the reach of everybody ; thought is communicated with the rapidity and even by the power of lightning.
18. oldal - ... technicalities of the Parisian cuisine. Then, vessels were coming in day after day, to lie deserted and useless at their anchorage. Now scarce a day passed, but some cluster of sails, bound outward through the Golden Gate, took their way to all the corners of the Pacific. Like the magic seed of the Indian juggler, which grew, blossomed and bore fruit before the eyes of his spectators, San Francisco seemed to have accomplished in a day the growth of half a century.
8. oldal - ... we are living at a period of most wonderful transition, which tends rapidly to the accomplishment of that great end to which, indeed, all history points — the realization of the unity of mankind.
19. oldal - Pasquale was reputed to be among the millionaires of the place, with an income of $50,000 monthly. A citizen of San Francisco died insolvent to the amount of $41,000 the previous Autumn. His administrators were delayed in settling his affairs, and his real estate advanced so rapidly in value meantime, that after his debts were paid his heirs had a yearly income of $40,000.
15. oldal - ... Kanakas from Hawaii, Chinese with long tails, Malays armed with their everlasting creeses and others in whose embrowned and bearded visages it was impossible to recognize any especial nationality. We came at last into the plaza, now dignified by the name of Portsmouth Square. It lies on the slant side of the hill, and from a high pole in front of a long one-story adobe building used as the Custom House, the American flag was flying. On the lower side stood the Parker House — an ordinary frame...
22. oldal - ... and a floor covered with oil-cloth. There are about twenty tables disposed in two rows, all of them so well filled that we have some difficulty in finding places. Taking up the written bill of fare, we find such items as the following : — SOUPS.
8. oldal - Nobody, however, who has paid any attention to the peculiar features of our present era, will doubt for a moment that we are living at a period of most wonderful transition, which tends rapidly to accomplish that great end, to which, indeed, all history points — the realization of the unity of mankind.
22. oldal - steward!" from all parts of the room — the word "waiter" is not considered sufficiently respectful, seeing that the waiter may have been a lawyer or merchant's clerk a few months before.
15. oldal - On every side stood buildings of all kinds, begun or half-finished, and the greater part of them mere canvas sheds, open in front, and covered with all kinds of signs, in all languages. Great quantities of goods were piled up in the open air, for want of a place to store them. The streets were full of people, hurrying to and fro, and of as diverse and bizarre a character as the houses...