Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
American Asia Asiatic become better British brought California called captain carried century China Chinese civilization coal coast colonies coming commerce continued cost cotton Cuba desire East empire England English Europe European fight fleet followed force foreign German give given gold half hand humanity hundred important increased industry influence inhabitants interests islands isles Italy Japan Japanese king labor land later less live Manila manufactures means Mexico miles millions mines mountains natives nature never ocean officers once Pacific passed Philippines political port possession present president race railway regard river round rule Russia sailed sent ships shore side South Spain Spaniards Spanish things tion town trade tropical United vessels voyage
164. oldal - The Inhabitants of the ceded territory shall be incorporated in the Union of the United States, and admitted as soon as possible, according to the principles of the Federal constitution, to the enjoyment of all the rights, advantages and immunities of citizens of the United States ; and in the meantime they shall be maintained!
191. oldal - ... prepare them for local self-government, and in due time to make such disposition of said islands as will best promote the interests of the citizens of the United States and the inhabitants of said islands.
168. oldal - Our first and fundamental maxim should be, never to entangle ourselves in the broils of Europe. Our second, never to suffer Europe to intermeddle with cisAtlantic affairs. America, North and South, has a set of interests distinct from those of Europe, and peculiarly her own. She should therefore have a system of her own, separate and apart from that of Europe.
302. oldal - It is true I cannot prevent the introduction of the flowing poison ; gain-seeking and corrupt men will for profit and sensuality, defeat my wishes ; but nothing will induce me to derive a revenue from the vice and misery of my people.
45. oldal - I shall refer to these horrible things no further. They are there. God pity me ; I have seen them ; they will remain in my mind forever — and this is almost the twentieth century. Christ died nineteen hundred years ago, and Spain is a Christian nation. She has set up more crosses in more lands, beneath more skies, and under them 'has butchered more people than all the other nations of the earth combined. Europe may tolerate her existence as long as the people of the Old World wish.
618. oldal - The fair breeze blew, the white foam flew, The furrow followed free ; We were the first that ever burst Into that silent sea...