Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
ancient appears authority Bhikkhu Bill Bouille bribe bribery British Bulgaria century character China Chinese Christian Church corruption criticism election electors Empire England English existence fact feeling fiction Fielding fish foreign France French German Gladstone Gladstone's gold Gosse Government hand House of Commons important India influence interest Ireland Irish Karpathos King less Liberal literature Lord Hartington Lord Randolph Churchill Lord Salisbury ment mind missionary missions modern National Gallery native nature never novel novelists painters Parliament Parnell Parnellites party passed Pekin poetry poets political present Prince principle province question represented Richardson river romance Rome Royal rule Russia sacred salmon Smollett smolts society speech spirit T. P. O'Connor tion Tom Jones Tories trade Treaty Varennes vote Whigs writing Yunnan
146. oldal - Missionaries, whose blameless example and self-denying labours are infusing new vigour into the stereotyped life of the great populations placed under English rule, and are preparing them to be in every way better men and better citizens of the great Empire in which they dwell.
17. oldal - Behold, here I am ; witness against me before the Lord, and before his anointed ; whose ox have I taken ? or whose ass have I taken? or whom have I defrauded ? whom have I oppressed ? or of whose hand have I received any bribe to blind mine eyes therewith ? and I will restore it you. And they said, Thou hast not defrauded us, nor oppressed us, neither hast thou taken aught of any man's hand.
384. oldal - There is Lowell, who's striving Parnassus to climb With a whole bale of isms tied together with rhyme, He might get on alone, spite of brambles and boulders, But he can't with that bundle he has on his shoulders, The top of the hill he will ne'er come nigh reaching Till he learns the distinction 'twixt singing and preaching His lyre has some chords that would ring pretty well, But he'd rather by half make a drum of the shell, And rattle away till he's old as Methusalem, At the head of a march to...
115. oldal - You are a miserable enthusiast,' shouted the grayhaired president, 'for asking such a question. Certainly nothing can be done before another Pentecost, when an effusion of miraculous gifts, including the gift of tongues, will give effect to the commission of Christ as at first.
312. oldal - The critic eye, that microscope of wit, Sees hairs and pores, examines bit by bit : How parts relate to parts or they to whole ; The body's harmony, the beaming soul, Are things which Kuster, Burman, Wasse shall see, When man's whole frame is obvious to a flea.
200. oldal - Thus he lives as a binder together of those who are divided, an encourager of those who are friends, a peacemaker, a lover of peace, impassioned for peace, a speaker of words that make for peace.
539. oldal - February 24. 1812 ; and its effects shall be 1o put an end to all debate, and to bring the House to a direct vote upon a motion to commit, if such motion shall have been made ; and if this motion does not prevail, then upon amendments reported by a committee, if any ; then — August 5, 1848 — upon pending amendments, and then upon the main question.
32. oldal - Perhaps we are not at liberty to forget that there are two kinds of bribery. It can be carried on by promising or giving to expectant partisans places paid out of the taxes, or it may consist in the directer process of legislating away the property of one class and transferring it to another.
374. oldal - We wage no war, — we lift no arm, — we fling no torch within The fire-damps of the quaking mine beneath your soil of sin ; We leave ye with your bondmen, to wrestle, while ye can, With the strong upward tendencies and godlike soul of man ! But for us and for our children, the vow which we have given For freedom and humanity is registered in heaven ; No slave-hunt in our borders, — no pirate on our strand ! No fetters in the Bay State, — no slave upon our land!
483. oldal - For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith...