The Wit and Wisdom of the Rev. Sydney Smith: A Selection of the Most Memorable Passages in His Writings and Conversation
Longmans, Green, and Company, 1869 - 355 oldal
Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
Gyakori szavak és kifejezések
American animal appears Author beautiful believe Bishop body cause character Christian Church cloth common course Crown 8vo death Edition effect England English existence fear feeling give habit half hand happiness hear heart HISTORY House human ideas Illustrations importance Institution Italy JOHN justice keep knowledge late laws Letters live London LONGMANS look Lord mankind manner Maps means Memoir mind moral nature never object once opinion original passed passions period person Philosophy Plates pleasure political poor Post 8vo Practical present principles PUBLISHED reason religion respect revised Second sense Smith spirit Sydney talents thing thought thousand tion true truth turn understanding virtue vols whole wisdom Woodcuts writing young
37. oldal - In the four quarters of the globe, who reads an American book, or goes to an American play, or looks at an American picture or statue...
11. oldal - Readings for a Month Preparatory to Confirmation, from Writers of the Early and English Church. By the same Author.
12. oldal - PRINCIPLES of EDUCATION Drawn from Nature and Revelation, and applied to Female Education in the Upper Classes. By the Author of
7. oldal - DICTIONARY of GENERAL BIOGRAPHY; containing Concise Memoirs and Notices of the most Eminent Persons of all Countries, from the Earliest Ages to the Present Time. Edited by WLR CATES. 8vo. 21s. LIVES of the QUEENS of ENGLAND.
3. oldal - The PRIMITIVE INHABITANTS of SCANDINAVIA : containing a Description of the Implements, Dwellings, Tombs, and Mode of Living of the Savages in the North of Europe during the Stone Age. By SYEN NIISSON.
9. oldal - Encyclopaedia of Agriculture: Comprising the Laying-out, Improvement, and Management of Landed Property, and the Cultivation and Economy of the Productions of Agriculture. With 1,100 Woodcuts. 8vo. 31s. 6d. London's Encyclopaedia of Gardening : Comprising the Theory and Practice of Horticulture, Floriculture, Arboriculture, and Landscape Gardening.
8. oldal - A TREATISE on the SCREW PROPELLER, SCREW VESSELS, and Screw Engines, as adapted for purposes of Peace and War ; with Notices of other Methods of Propulsion, Tables of the Dimensions and Performance of Screw Steamers, and detailed Specifications of Ships and Engines. By J.
4. oldal - Chemistry, Medicine, Surgery, and the Allied Sciences. A Dictionary of Chemistry and the Allied Branches of other Sciences.
3. oldal - INSECTS AT HOME: A Popular Account of British Insects, their Structure, Habits and Transformations.
3. oldal - BIBLE ANIMALS ; being a Description of every Living Creature mentioned in the Scriptures, from the Ape to the Coral.