Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
Men of Our Times; Or, Leading Patriots of the Day: Being Narratives of the ...
Harriet Beecher Stowe
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2015
38th Congress abolitionists Abraham Lincoln anti-slavery army battle battle of Shiloh Beecher Boston called campaign cause character Charles Sumner Chase Christ Christian church Colfax colored command Congress constitution course Douglas Douglass duty emancipation England faith father feeling fight force Frederick Douglass fugitive slave law Garrison gave Governor Grant Greeley hand heart Henry Henry Wilson honor human Increase Sumner justice labor liberty Lincoln living Massachusetts master ment military mind moral nation nature negro never once party Phillips political preaching President principles rebel rebellion religious Schuyler Colfax Senate sentiment Sheridan Sherman side slave slaveholders slavery society solemn South southern speech spirit Stanton Sumner things thought tion took Union Union army United Vicksburg victory vigorous Washington Wendell Phillips West Point Whig Whig party whole words young
40. oldal - A house divided against itself cannot stand." I believe this Government cannot endure permanently half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved, I do not expect the house to fall, but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing, or all the other. Either the opponents of slavery will arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in the course of ultimate extinction; or its advocates will push...
335. oldal - ... in weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. Besides those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches. Who is weak, and I am not weak ? who is offended, and I burn not?
68. oldal - If the Almighty Ruler of Nations, with his eternal truth and justice, be on your side of the North, or on yours of the South, that truth 292 and that justice will surely prevail by the judgment of this great tribunal of the American people.
71. oldal - The LORD also shall roar out of Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem; and the heavens and the earth shall shake: but the LORD will be the hope of his people, and the strength of the children of Israel.
68. oldal - The power confided to me will be used to hold, occupy, and possess the property and places belonging to the government...
79. oldal - Woe unto the world because of offences ; for it must needs be that offences come, but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh.
55. oldal - If our sense of duty forbids this, then let us stand by our duty, fearlessly and effectively. Let us be diverted by none of those sophistical contrivances wherewith we are so industriously plied and...
66. oldal - But I have said nothing but what I am willing to live by, and, if it be the pleasure of Almighty God, to die by.