Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
The Calendar of the Anglican Church Illustrated: With Brief Accounts of the ...
Church of England
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2018
Abbey afterwards allusion ancient Angels Apostles appeared August Augustine bears became beheaded Bishop Blessed body born built buried Calendar called carried Cathedral caused celebrated century chapel Christ Christian Church and village Churches dedicated Churches in England Churches named commemorated converted Cornwall cross crown daughter death dedicated died dragon early emblem English Evangelist faith father feet festival figure founded four France frequently give given Gospel hand head holding Holy honour hundred Images instances James John July June Kent King known land learning legend lived London March Martyr martyrdom Mary memory Michael miracles monastery named native noble Norfolk Northumbria October origin Oxford painted glass Paul Peter piety popular preached probably received reference relics remains representations represented retired Rome saint sanctity says sent sometimes standing stone suffered supposed sword symbol tion town translated usually Virgin wings
328. oldal - As for the likeness of their faces, they four had the face of a man, and the face of a lion, on the right side : and they four had the face of an ox on the left side ; they four also had the face of an eagle.
170. oldal - Rules to know when the Moveable Feasts and Holy-days begin. EASTER-DAY, on which the rest depend, is always the first Sunday after the full moon which happens upon or next after the twenty-first day of March, and if the full moon happens upon a Sunday, Easter Day is the Sunday after.
328. oldal - And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal : and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind.
155. oldal - As there are three kinds of martyrdom, the first both in will and deed, which is the highest; the second in will but not in deed ; the third in deed but not in will ; so the Church commemorates these martyrs in the same order : St.
13. oldal - Staffordshire; which yet are of two kinds also, some public, of a larger size, which hang commonly here at one end of the mantle-tree of their chimneys, for the use of the whole family; and others private, of a smaller size, which they carry in their pockets.
319. oldal - Among the first Christians, the instrument of God's suffering and man's redemption, the CROSS, was made the chief emblem of their faith, the chief mark of their community, their standard and their watchword. It was carefully imprinted alike on the habitations of the living and the receptacles of the dead".
130. oldal - In Callot's Images, and in Le Clerc, their supposed martyrdom is represented, one being sawn asunder, the other stabbed while kneeling in prayer. S. Simon has almost invariably a long saw in one hand, but sometimes he has one or two fish. S. Jude has a club, or a boat or ship, in allusion to his...
328. oldal - And the first beast was like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast wot like a flying eagle.
12. oldal - Canutus raigned sole king of England for 20 years : during which time and the raigns of his two successors, also Danish kings of England, many of their customs and utensils, no doubt on't, obtained here, amongst which I guess I may reckon an ancient sort of Almanacks they call Cloggs, made upon square sticks, still (AD 1686) in use here among the meaner sort of people, which I cannot but think must be some remains of the Danish government, finding the same with little difference to have been used...