Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
able according acquainted ancients appears assertion became become believe belong brought called carried caused century cloth collected colour common conjecture considered consisted contained copper covered described doubt dress early employed England established experiments figures fire formed former France furs gave German give given glass gold greater Greeks hand houses indigo invention iron Italy kind known latter lead learned leaves light lived manner means mentioned metal method mirrors nature necessary never observed obtained occurs oldest opinion Paris particularly passage perhaps period person pieces plants Pliny pounds prepared present printed probable produced proof properly proved quoted received regard relates remarked render respecting Romans salt says seems silver skins sometimes soon speaks stone things tion various vessels whole writers
261. oldal - French school of historical scholars, at the end of the seventeenth and the beginning of the eighteenth century...
vi. oldal - An admirable and most forcible way to drive up water by fire, not by drawing or sucking it upwards, for that must be as the philosopher calleth it, infra spheeram activitatis, which is but at such a distance. But this way hath no bounder, if the vessels be strong enough ; for I have taken a piece of a whole cannon, whereof the end was burst, and filled it...
413. oldal - Italian fashion by this forked cutting of meate, not only while I was in Italy, but also in Germany, and oftentimes in England since I came home; being once quipped for that frequent using of my forke by a certain learned gentleman, a familiar friend of mine, one Mr.
93. oldal - Tarn leve nee bombyx pendulus urget opus. Crassior in facie vetulae stat creta Fabullae: Crassior offensae bulla tumescit aquae. Fortior et tortos servat vesica capillos, Et mutat Latias spuma Batava comas.
vi. oldal - I have seen the water run like a constant fountain stream forty feet high. One vessel of water rarefied by fire driveth up forty of cold water ; and a man that tends the work is but to turn two cocks, that, one vessel of water being consumed, another begins to force and refill with cold water, and so successively, the fire being tended and kept constant, which the self same person may likewise abundantly perform in the interim, between the necessity of turning the said cocks.
353. oldal - The little of these vegetables that was used, was formerly imported from Holland and Flanders. Queen Catherine, when she wanted a salad, was obliged to despatch a messenger thither on purpose.
528. oldal - Germany, either about the end of the sixteenth or beginning of the seventeenth century. The oldest account with which I am acquainted seems to be in favour of Germany and the sixteenth century.
361. oldal - Henry VIII. wore ordinarily cloth hose, except there came from Spain, by great chance, a pair of silk stockings. King Edward, his son, was presented with a pair of long Spanish silk stockings by Sir Thomas Gresham, his merchant, and the present was taken much notice of.
412. oldal - For while with their knife, which they hold in one hand, they cut the meate out of the dish, they fasten their forke, which they hold in their other hand, upon the same dish, so that whatsoever he be that, sitting in the company of any others at...
361. oldal - Burdet, having accidentally seen in the shop of an Italian merchant a pair of knit worsted stockings, procured from Mantua, and having borrowed them, made a pair exactly like them, and these were the first stockings knit in England of woollen yarn. From this testimony, it has been hitherto believed in England that knit stockings were first made known there under Henry VIII.