Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
altogether appeared attempt attention balloon beauty became believe body called cause chamber character close continued corpse course dark death difficulty direction door doubt earth effect entirely evidence excited existence expression eyes fact fancy feel feet fell felt gave give half hand head heard heart hour human idea imagination immediately kind known least length less letter light looked manner matter means mind minutes murder nature nearly never night object observed once original passed perceive perhaps period person portion position possible present question reached reason regard remained remarkable seemed seen sense soon speak spirit sufficient supposed sure surface thing thought tion took trees truth turned usual voice wall whole
299. oldal - And travellers, now, within that valley, Through the red-litten windows see Vast forms that move fantastically To a discordant melody; While, like a ghastly rapid river, Through the pale door A hideous throng rush out forever, And laugh — but smile no more.
456. oldal - And the will therein lieth, which dieth not. Who knoweth the mysteries of the will, with its vigor? For God is but a great will pervading all things by nature of its intentness. Man doth not yield him to the angels, nor unto death utterly, save only through the weakness of his feeble will...
170. oldal - I began to reflect how magnificent a thing it was to die in such a manner, and how foolish it was . in me to think of so paltry a consideration as my own individual life, in view of so wonderful a manifestation of God's power.
297. oldal - By the utter simplicity, by the nakedness of his designs, he arrested and overawed attention. If ever mortal painted an idea, that mortal was Roderick Usher.
266. oldal - We also measured the thickness of every bookcover, with the most accurate admeasurement, and applied to each the most jealous scrutiny of the microscope. Had any of the bindings been recently meddled with, it would have been utterly impossible that the fact should have escaped observation. Some five or six volumes, just from the hands of the binder, we carefully probed, longitudinally, with the needles." " You explored the floors beneath the carpets?" " Beyond doubt. We removed every carpet, and...
456. oldal - Horror the soul of the plot. But see, amid the mimic rout, A crawling shape intrude! A blood-red thing that writhes from out The scenic solitude! It writhes! - it writhes! - with mortal pangs The mimes become its food, And the seraphs sob at vermin fangs In human gore imbued.
344. oldal - A wrong is unredressed when retribution overtakes its redresser. It is equally unredressed when the avenger fails to make himself felt as such to him who has done the wrong.
62. oldal - It was a species of tableland, near the summit of an almost inaccessible hill, densely wooded from base to pinnacle, and interspersed with huge crags that appeared to lie loosely upon the soil, and in many cases were prevented from precipitating themselves into the valleys below merely by the support of the trees against which they reclined. Deep ravines, in various directions, gave an air of still sterner solemnity to the scene.
456. oldal - After a few months, therefore, of weary and aimless wandering, I purchased and put in some repair an abbey which I shall not name in one of the wildest and least frequented portions of fair England. The gloomy and dreary grandeur of the building, the almost savage aspect of the domain, the many melancholy and...