Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
according action admit affection alfo appears arifes asfection attained attention besore body cafe called cife circumstances cither conduct confcience confequence consider contemplation death deferve degree desire difappointment difcover difposition disengagement disferent divine eafy easily endeavour engaged enjoyment evil exercife external faculties faid fame favour fcripture feems felf fenfation fenfe fensible feparation feven fome fomething fometimes formerly foul fpeaking fpect fpiritual fubject fuch fuggested fuited fuperior fuppofe fupport fupreme fussicient future fystem give God's goodnefs habit happiness himfelf ideas imagination importance improvement intirely itfelf lefs likewife meafure ment mentioned mind moral nature necessary nefs neral obferve ourfelves outward pain particular passions perceptions perfection pleafure powers prefent principle proper object purfued purfuit purpofe raifed reafon refpect refurrection regulated soch soul temper thefe themfelves ther thing thofe thought tion true happinefs turally univerfal unlefs whofe yourfelf
269. oldal - And the feventh ang'el founded, and there were great voices, in heaven, faying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Chrift, and he ihaU reign for ever and ever.
198. oldal - May I venture here to lay down the greatest, most important, and most useful rule of education? It is this, Not to gain time, but to lose it. The generality of readers will be so good as to excuse my paradoxes; there is an absolute necessity for them in making reflections: and, say what you will, I had rather be remarkable for hunting after a paradox, than for being misled by prejudice.
199. oldal - I foresee how much my readers will be surprised to find I have attended my pupil throughout the whole first age of life, without once speaking to him of religion. He hardly knows at fifteen years of age whether or not he hath a...
217. oldal - Thus am I doubly arm'd : my death and life, My bane and antidote, are both before me : This in a moment brings me to an end, But this informs me I fhall never die.
2. oldal - Thofe call it pleafure, and contentment thefe : Some funk to beafts, find pleafure end in pain ; Some fwell'd to gods, confefs ev'n virtue vain; Or indolent, to each extreme they fati, To truft in ev'ry thing, or doubt of all.
281. oldal - Our converfation is in heaven, from whence, fays he, we alfo look for the Saviour, the Lord Jefus Chrift, who fhall change our vile body, that it may be fafhioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able to fubdue all things unto him.
121. oldal - Oft feeks to fweet retir'd folitude, Where with her beft nurfe contemplation She plumes her feathers, and lets grow her wings, That in the various' buftle of refort Were all too ruffled, and fometimes impair'd. 380 He that has light within his own clear breaft May fit i'th...
197. oldal - I venture here to lay down the greateft, moft important and moft ufeful rule of education ? It is this, not to gain time, but to lofe it. The generality of readers will be fo good as to excufe my paradoxes ; there is an abfolute neceffity for them, when we make reflections : and...
281. oldal - So alfo is the refurrection of the dead : It is fown in corruption ; it is raifed in incorruption : It is fown in difhonour ; it is raifed in glory : It is fown in weaknefs ; it is raifed in power : It is fown a natural body ; it is raifed a fpiritual body.
198. oldal - ... far you run without fetching breath; let us see what you can do more at present. Thus would I excite him to emulation, without making him jealous or envious of a rival: he would be desirous indeed to excel himself, and so he ought to be; I see no inconvenience in this kind of emulation. I hate books; they only teach people to talk about what they do not understand. It is said that Hermes engraved the elements of the sciences on columns, to secure his discoveries from being lost in the time of...