Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
advance army artillery attack attempt Banks batteries battle began brave bridge brigade campaign carry charge close Colonel columns command compelled Corps cover crossed dark destroyed determined directed division enemy enemy's fall fell field fight fire five flank followed force forward four front gallant give Government Grant ground gunboats guns hand head heavy heights held hill hold Hooker hundred immediately Jackson land latter length loss mass McClellan miles Morgan morning mountain moved movement nearly never night numbers o'clock officers once passed persons Porter position Potomac pressed pushed reached rear rebel received rest retreat Richmond river road Rosecrans seemed sent shell Sherman shot shout side soon stream strong struggle success supplies Swamp swept thousand took trains troops turn United Valley Vicksburg victory White whole woods wounded
79. oldal - The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew.
80. oldal - ... all persons held as slaves within any state or designated part of a state the people whereof shall then be in rebellion against the united states shall be then thenceforward and forever free and the executive government of the united states including the military and naval authority thereof will recognize and maintain the freedom of such persons and will do no act or acts to repress such persons or any of them in any efforts they may make for their actual freedom...
79. oldal - Fellow-citizens, we cannot escape history. We of this Congress and this Administration will be remembered in spite of ourselves. No personal significance or insignificance can spare one or another of us. The fiery trial through which we pass will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the latest generation.
79. oldal - In giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free — honorable alike in what we give, and what we preserve.
83. oldal - ... order and designate, as the States and parts of States wherein the people thereof respectively are this day in rebellion against the United States...
597. oldal - The arms, artillery, and public property to be parked and stacked, and turned over to the officers appointed by me to receive them. This will not embrace the side-arms of the officers, nor their private horses or baggage.
81. oldal - ... and all slaves captured from such persons or deserted by them, and coming under the control of the government of the United States, and all slaves of such persons found on (or being within) any place occupied by rebel forces and afterwards occupied by the forces of the United States, shall be deemed captives of war, and shall be forever free of their servitude and not again held as slaves.
282. oldal - I will, in like manner, abide by and faithfully support all acts of congress passed during the existing rebellion with reference to slaves, so long and so far as not repealed, modified, or held void by congress, or by decision of the supreme court...
83. oldal - Now, therefore, I, ABRAHAM LINCOLN, President of the United States, by virtue of the power in me vested as Commander-in-Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States in time of actual armed rebellion against the authority and Government of the United States, and as a fit and necessary war measure for suppressing said rebellion...
84. oldal - St. Martin, and Orleans, including the city of New Orleans, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia, except the forty-eight counties designated as West Virginia, and also the counties of Berkeley, Accomac, Northampton, Elizabeth City, York, Princess Ann, and Norfolk, including the cities of Norfolk and Portsmouth, and which excepted parts are, for the present, left precisely as if this proclamation were not issued.